My tortoises

abissnails

Location (City and/or State)
ND
Okay, so I have 7 Tortoises. One is a Red-Footed tortoise and he/she lives by himself. He/she is 5 months old and it’s named Squirt. I also have 2 Russian Tortoises that live together. I have one female (Penelope) and one male (Max) that are both one year old. Then I have 4 Sulcata Tortoises that live together. One of them is a little bit older than the others and is named Bubbles (4 months old), the others were all born on the same day and there names are Rolo, Pistachio, and Kiwi (2 months old). So, there’s my tortoises?.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hello and welcome,

Seems like you have a nice collection for tortoises. Are those Russians in your avatar picture the 1 year olds? If so they aren’t 1 year old. They look like fully grown wild caught adult tortoises.

abissnails

ND
Hello and welcome,

Seems like you have a nice collection for tortoises. Are those Russians in your avatar picture the 1 year olds? If so they aren’t 1 year old. They look like fully grown wild caught adult tortoises.
Wow, that’s really interesting. Yes, those are my Russians in the picture, I bought them from my local pet store. I guess I should’ve know they weren’t babies when I bought them, because the size of them now was pretty much the same as when I first got them. Correct me if I’m wrong, but by fully grown do you mean 20-30 years old?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, probably 10 or 11 years old.

Welcome to the Forum!

Last edited:

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Hi, do a search on this forum about keeping tortoises in pairs. Its not good and Russians are the scrappiest of them all.

abissnails

ND
Hi, do a search on this forum about keeping tortoises in pairs. Its not good and Russians are the scrappiest of them all.
I’ve had my Russians for about a year and they seem fine together. They both eat well and drink well and I don’t really have problems with them. Do you have any suggestions on what to look up? Thanks☺️.

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Look up Why not keep 2 tortoises together - a lesson learned the hard way. Tortoises are very territorial, following each other may be one chasing the other and sleeping together is one taking charge of the best sleeping spot. Eating together is keeping one from the best food. Signs may not be obvious now but trust me, they will be. Soon it will be head bobbing and biting, which mostly ends up with one being dead. Please save yourself the heartbreak and separate them!

abissnails

ND
Look up Why not keep 2 tortoises together - a lesson learned the hard way. Tortoises are very territorial, following each other may be one chasing the other and sleeping together is one taking charge of the best sleeping spot. Eating together is keeping one from the best food. Signs may not be obvious now but trust me, they will be. Soon it will be head bobbing and biting, which mostly ends up with one being dead. Please save yourself the heartbreak and separate them!
Wow, thank you so much I will watch them closely while I try and figure out we’re to put them.