My Tortoises skin looks really dry

kenzmorg95

I just bought a Russian Tortoise and I have had it for about two days now. The skin of my tortoise looks really dry, I read some where that if it looks dry but the peeling skin underneath is not read or looks irritated I should not worry. I was wondering if this is normal and also if I could do anything about it. I will attach a picture so you can see what I am talking about.
thank you!

Attachments

• t.JPG
    t.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 123

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I know most people don't soak adult tortoises very often but I feel like a tort whose been transported/changed hands and dealt with the added stress should be soaked daily for how ever long you are comfortable with. I've had my new adopted Russians for a few weeks now and I'm still soaking them every couple of days. I feel like hydration is cheap insurance.

Elohi(Earth)

kenzmorg95

I know most people don't soak adult tortoises very often but I feel like a tort whose been transported/changed hands and dealt with the added stress should be soaked daily for how ever long you are comfortable with. I've had my new adopted Russians for a few weeks now and I'm still soaking them every couple of days. I feel like hydration is cheap insurance.

Elohi(Earth)

Okay! so you think if I bath my tort daily then the dry skin will go away? also do you think the dry skin that I should be highly concerned about or does it look normal for most torts?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
It may take some time to get his skin thoroughly hydrated. Seems like everything with torts is kind of slow (lol) but in time I would think he will hydrate from the inside out and regenerate healthier skin.

My male Russian has peeling skin on his back and one leg and it hasn't really improved yet.

Elohi(Earth)

kenzmorg95

It may take some time to get his skin thoroughly hydrated. Seems like everything with torts is kind of slow (lol) but in time I would think he will hydrate from the inside out and regenerate healthier skin.

My male Russian has peeling skin on his back and one leg and it hasn't really improved yet.

Elohi(Earth)

okay! and one more question, sorry I feel like I am bugging you haha when you soak your tort are you supposed to put it in a container big enough for it and let him just walk around it? or use a wash cloth and wipe the tort off? Is there a certain way to give it a soak?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Put it in a plastic container . Fill it just enough to cover the bottom of the shell . So he can soak but if he pulls his head into his shell he can still breath .

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
What Mike said :)

Elohi(Earth)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
The bigger the container, the more exercise s/he will get running around trying to get out. I take my adult russians in every month or so and soak them. It really can't hurt and sometimes it is just what the doctor ordered.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The age of the tort is not the only deciding factor for soaking......and there is nothing bad that will come from a good ole long soak, regardless of the torts age....:D