My tortoises shell doesn’t look right

tristanbett

Location (City and/or State)
Bromsgrove
I’ve had my tortoises for a few months now, they’re about a year old. They get fed plenty and always have their food coated in calcium, they also have good lighting. One of them is completely fine and nothing looks wrong with him however my other one who I’ll attach a picture of gets the same food, calcium, baths etc but his shell just doesn’t seem right. I’ll attach pictures of his enclosure and his shell, yes they’re separated. The second picture shows what looks like a dent, this is what I’m most worried about

Attachments

• D740CDBF-51DE-4D10-A48F-9551E05CD8D1.jpeg
    D740CDBF-51DE-4D10-A48F-9551E05CD8D1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 817D7C36-63B8-4144-B8FE-FEA84FCF38C2.jpeg
    817D7C36-63B8-4144-B8FE-FEA84FCF38C2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • 9509567F-4221-4CD0-B488-80E8119E31C7.jpeg
    9509567F-4221-4CD0-B488-80E8119E31C7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32

Freddy90

Austria
I’ve had my tortoises for a few months now, they’re about a year old. They get fed plenty and always have their food coated in calcium, they also have good lighting. One of them is completely fine and nothing looks wrong with him however my other one who I’ll attach a picture of gets the same food, calcium, baths etc but his shell just doesn’t seem right. I’ll attach pictures of his enclosure and his shell, yes they’re separated. The second picture shows what looks like a dent, this is what I’m most worried about

Hey I'm also new to turtles and tortoises but have read many posts here. I'm sure someone more experienced will shine in later for now:

Are these small stones in ur substrate?
If yes get rid of them asap high impaction risk.

What kind of lights do u use brand? They dont look sufficient.

U need more humidity for ur tortoises the shell is starting to pyramid. Many people use closed Chambers for this. Also ur substrate looks really dry. Ur current setup cant hold humidity u need to make a lid.

There are many posts here about closed chambers check them out :)

tristanbett

Bromsgrove
Hey I'm also new to turtles and tortoises but have read many posts here. I'm sure someone more experienced will shine in later for now:

U need more humidity for ur tortoises the shell is starting to pyramid. Many people use closed Chambers for this. Also ur substrate looks really dry. Ur current setup cant hold humidity u need to make a lid.

okay thank you for the info

tristanbett

Bromsgrove

By the way I use zoomed uvb tunes and a ceramic heat emitter. About putting the lid on, doesnt this make it too humid for them?

Freddy90

Austria
By the way I use zoomed uvb tunes and a ceramic heat emitter. About putting the lid on, doesnt this make it too humid for them?

I think zoomed lights are good but dont quote me on it but the way u mounted them just looks to me like they dont do much but let's wait for more experienced members :) and no it won't get too humid with a lid on.

tristanbett

Bromsgrove
I think zoomed lights are good but dont quote me on it but the way u mounted them just looks to me like they dont do much but let's wait for more experienced members :) and no it won't get too humid with a lid on.

okay I’m going to wait for someone with a bit more experience to tell me what I can do