My tortoise seems super lathargic lately. Dont know what to do

SleepingYuuki

Location (City and/or State)
Neecastle upon tyne
So normal Wilson wanders around my office room all day with a little ramping in and out of his enclosure but as of lately. He's just been going into sleep all day. Barely Eatting and idk if he drinks.

I give him baths every few days and soak him otherwise, I give him veg in morning and nights and pellets throughout the day. He's normally super active and runs around but lately just doesn't want to get up.
About a week or 2 ago he ate apebble in the back garden and idk if it's upsetting him or not. Idk if I trimmed his beak to short and he's in pain until it grows back more. I'm just a bit worried and due to covid I can't get him to a Reptile shop for a check up or as questions.

Can anyone help. Thank you in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We'll need a bit more information: what species? lights? heat? diet? Maybe a picture of Wilson's enclosure would help us to help you. But right off the top of my head, it's not a good idea to allow Wilson out of his enclosure to wander around the office room. He needs his dedicated space where it's warm and safe.

SleepingYuuki

Neecastle upon tyne
We'll need a bit more information: what species? lights? heat? diet? Maybe a picture of Wilson's enclosure would help us to help you. But right off the top of my head, it's not a good idea to allow Wilson out of his enclosure to wander around the office room. He needs his dedicated space where it's warm and safe.
He's only out and about while i'm in here. I'm use this room most of the day as it's where my Gaming PC is otherwise I keep his enclosure closed while I'm out not home or not in my room for a good while. He's a Horsfield and He's about 4 years old we were told when we got him off a family. His tank came with him. He normally eats Peppers and cucumber with Kale the most. He seems to love Peppers, especially the red ones. I've put a few pictures down in too. I've never really touched the temp controls I think they are at the op of his enclourse since getting him as idk what to do with them and they said it was all set up for him. His lights are on a timer too, has a Red basking light and a UVC lamp to light his tank up.

EDIT: He's also begining to shed his skin I believe, So idk if he's just slowing down due to that but otherwise I am clueless
DSC_0190.jpgDSC_0191.jpgDSC_0189.jpgDSC_0192.jpg

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So normal Wilson wanders around my office room all day with a little ramping in and out of his enclosure but as of lately. He's just been going into sleep all day. Barely Eatting and idk if he drinks.

I give him baths every few days and soak him otherwise, I give him veg in morning and nights and pellets throughout the day. He's normally super active and runs around but lately just doesn't want to get up.
About a week or 2 ago he ate apebble in the back garden and idk if it's upsetting him or not. Idk if I trimmed his beak to short and he's in pain until it grows back more. I'm just a bit worried and due to covid I can't get him to a Reptile shop for a check up or as questions.

Can anyone help. Thank you in advance!
First I want to say hello and welcome. I'm glad you are here and I hope we can help you and your tortoise. You can't fix things if no one tells you what is wrong. The following is meant to help you understand what is wrong, so you can make it better.

You are making nearly every mistake there is. Not trying to make you feel bad, but if you don't know what is wrong, how can you make it right? You've got the wrong size enclosure, wrong substrate, wrong lighting, wrong heating, wrong food, wrong thermometer, and the practice of letting the tortoise free-roam in the room will likely lead to death, injury or illness. It almost always does eventually. You are seeing the results of these mistakes, and that is what brought you here to us. If you want him to recover and survive, you'll need to change some things, including not letting him run around on the cold slippery floor.

Yvonne linked it for you, but read both of these for more explanation on what needs to be done:

After you read those and take in all this info, please come back and ask all your questions. Remember: Our goal is to HELP you and your tortoise. We aren't selling anything, and we get nothing for doing all this, except the happiness that a healthy tortoise brings us.

SleepingYuuki

Neecastle upon tyne
First I want to say hello and welcome. I'm glad you are here and I hope we can help you and your tortoise. You can't fix things if no one tells you what is wrong. The following is meant to help you understand what is wrong, so you can make it better.

You are making nearly every mistake there is. Not trying to make you feel bad, but if you don't know what is wrong, how can you make it right? You've got the wrong size enclosure, wrong substrate, wrong lighting, wrong heating, wrong food, wrong thermometer, and the practice of letting the tortoise free-roam in the room will likely lead to death, injury or illness. It almost always does eventually. You are seeing the results of these mistakes, and that is what brought you here to us. If you want him to recover and survive, you'll need to change some things, including not letting him run around on the cold slippery floor.

Yvonne linked it for you, but read both of these for more explanation on what needs to be done:

After you read those and take in all this info, please come back and ask all your questions. Remember: Our goal is to HELP you and your tortoise. We aren't selling anything, and we get nothing for doing all this, except the happiness that a healthy tortoise brings us.
Thanks for the notes. I'm gonna be using these and doing extra digging for stuff for him to work with the space at home we have to spare.
I appreciate the help.

Reactions: Tom