My tortoise poop is runny

Mosin

Location (City and/or State)
Us
Is this normal is it because he is hydrated?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Adding more fiber to the diet helps firm up the poop.

Mosin

Us
Hi,

What kind of tortoise do you have and what are you feeding it?
A Russian I feed him collared greens or dandelion greens and qucumbers every few days and when he’s outside he eats grass and flowers

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
A Russian I feed him collared greens or dandelion greens and qucumbers every few days and when he’s outside he eats grass and flowers
Get rid of the cucumbers. That may stop the runny poop, and cucumbers aren't meant for russians.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah the cucumbers are probably doing it, not something you want to feed regularly. I feed cucumbers if I think one is constipated or in need of extra hydration they shouldn't be a diet staple though. Mine love cucumbers so sometimes to entice them to eat soaked Mazuri or Zoo Med Pellets I'll dice them up small and mix it in the mush.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I have heard varied things If I can feed them to him at all how often
Honestly I wouldn't even give them. It's not like it'll kill him or make him sick, but naturally, in the wild they eat more dry, fibrous things and cucumbers are the opposite of that.

If you really want to give cucumbers for some reason, I would not give more than once every few weeks.

Also, some fibrous foods are mulberry leaves, kale, grape leaves, endive, escarole, mustard greens, stuff like that.