My tortoise might be dead

tlamanna

Location (City and/or State)
NC
i’ve had him for 4 months and he was consistently eating, about a week or so ago he was eating less and less. i went out of town for 4 day and when i came back he was hiding in a shaded area. i didn’t think anything of it and the next morning he was still there. i came home tonight and picked him up because he wasn’t eating and still hiding. i soaked him in a small amount of luke warm water. his head is tucked in and his legs are not moving if i tug them lightly. the bottom of his shell is mushy. I just don’t know how this happened or what i did wrong :( 677AA95F-77B2-4507-AC85-7D0D4AA44541.jpegD87BAF34-8612-4BBB-ADDE-68DD3A9399BE.jpeg

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
I’m so sorry for you and feel your pain! ☹️
Is the tort stiff, does it react if you touch it’s legs or head?
Was someone taking care of it while you were gone?
This is a baby Sulcata... If so, where did you get it?
Dit have any yellow bumps/sores on its neck or legs?
I ask bc There are a few people on here doing research as there have been many baby sulcatas turning up with this “yellow bump” problem.
I think Most of the expert people on this forum are asleep now. But I’m sure one of them will respond in the AM.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Don't do anything with the body until you are positive it is dead. Sometimes torts die, look dead, no response, flaccid...and then wake up hours later. Leave him in his enclosure with heat and lights. When his eyes are sunken in, and no response to pulling on legs, then he's dead. If this is the case, I'm so sorry.

We would like to know the answers to what @Tortisedonk7 asked. As he said, there is a disease that we have been seeing often the last few months.

If there are currently any yellow bumps or lesions, especially on his neck or legs, if he is dead, we ask that you place the body in a tupperware or a plastic ziploc bag and place it in the refrigerator, not the freezer. In the refrigerator.

Then you would contact @mastershake either on this thread or by Private message. He will talk to you and if needed, make arrangements.

I know how difficult this is. I am so sorry about your sweet baby. But if there are bumps, your cooperation could be the one needed item to solve this mystery illness and make sure no more baby sullies die from it.

tlamanna

NC
I’m so sorry for you and feel your pain! ☹
Is the tort stiff, does it react if you touch it’s legs or head?
Was someone taking care of it while you were gone?
This is a baby Sulcata... If so, where did you get it?
Dit have any yellow bumps/sores on its neck or legs?
I ask bc There are a few people on here doing research as there have been many baby sulcatas turning up with this “yellow bump” problem.
I think Most of the expert people on this forum are asleep now. But I’m sure one of them will respond in the AM.
i never noticed any bumps and i had him shipped from the reptile city website. he’s not necessarily stiff , his legs just hang there and they won’t move.

tlamanna

NC
Don't do anything with the body until you are positive it is dead. Sometimes torts die, look dead, no response, flaccid...and then wake up hours later. Leave him in his enclosure with heat and lights. When his eyes are sunken in, and no response to pulling on legs, then he's dead. If this is the case, I'm so sorry.

We would like to know the answers to what @Tortisedonk7 asked. As he said, there is a disease that we have been seeing often the last few months.

If there are currently any yellow bumps or lesions, especially on his neck or legs, if he is dead, we ask that you place the body in a tupperware or a plastic ziploc bag and place it in the refrigerator, not the freezer. In the refrigerator.

Then you would contact @mastershake either on this thread or by Private message. He will talk to you and if needed, make arrangements.

I know how difficult this is. I am so sorry about your sweet baby. But if there are bumps, your cooperation could be the one needed item to solve this mystery illness and make sure no more baby sullies die from it.
he’s stiff this morning :/

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Are his eyes sunken in? I'm so sorry about your baby.

Either @mastershake or @Pastel Tortie will PM you. I'll notify them.
We don't think this is related to the yellow bumps issue. We don't need to make arrangements for a necropsy.

@tlamanna I'm so sorry about your little one. I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
His eyes look sunken in on the second picture.

Sorry about your tortoise.

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I'm not familiar with Reptile City, but sorry for your loss.
WE have great breeders on here who can always help and support you, and give you the best information ever.
They start their babies off the right way to limit the death of baby tortoises.
Sometimes the death can be linked to a number of reasons and we just don't know why.
Can I see a picture of your enclosure?

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
so sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose a baby. good luck finding a new healthy one.