My tortoise is sleeping all day... Should I be concerned?

Herman_WA

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I have an adult Hermann's and about a week ago, he has been sleeping and burrowing almost all day. He only gets up to eat. Haven't seen him drink. But then again I never happen to see him drink.
His temps are good according to what I have seen on this forum, and so is humidity.
Right now his enclosure is a bit to small, but am hoping to fix that.

I have read a few threads that say it's just the weather, but don't know of this is the same case.
I have also read could be respatory infection. I really hope it's not.

Any advice appreciated.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
At this time of year it is normal for activity to reduce as tortoises detect the shortening of the datylight hours and prepare themselves for the cold .... evn though the cold won’t actually come indoors.

However, the cold not coming is a problem because this lack of activity isn’t hibernation and your tortoise is still burning energy and dehydrating but not eating and drinking to compensate.

You need to take charge here.

1. Check the temperatures.
Your tortoise must be able to bask at 95-100F at tortoise level directly undre a basking lamp that is hanging vertically.

Your tortoise mustn’t get too cold at night. If temperatures drop below 65F then your tort will take too long to warm up in the morning to get active. A ceramic heat emitter and thermostat may be required. Don’t use a red bulb for night heat; they’re not suitable for tortoises.

Respiratory infection is usually caused by the combination of cold and damp. Tortoises need warmth and humidity to be healthy. This is another reason that temperatures mustn’t be allowed to drop too far.

2. You are trying to recreate Summer
Temperature isn’t enough. The lights must be on and bright for 12-14 hours. Use a timer so they come on and go off at the same time each day. You may need additional LED lighting at this time of year to make the enclosure brighter without affecting temperature.

3. Preventing dehydration and weight loss
In periods of inactivity (except for proper hibernation) it is essential to soak your tortoise daily for at least 30 minutes in warm water. Get the temperature right and your tort will wallow and enjoy the warmth.

Link this to the natural activity cycle of your tortoise. Haul him out first thing every morning and pop him in a large flat bottomed bowl with high sides; a washing up bowl is ideal. The water should be deep enough to just come over the join between the shell and the plastron (undershell)

Feed greens wet and offer them immediately after the soak. Hopefully your tort will take some early on in the day.

Your tortoise may well do little else for the rest of the day, but starting the day with a soak will help prevent problems.

Photos of your enclosure and lighting will help us to offer specific advise concerning your tortoise