My tortoise is sick

emilycrisp

Location (City and/or State)
TN
Mikie has been lethargic for a couple of days and hasn't eaten. Only wants to hide. Been giving him long baths and I have him a doctors appointment this afternoon. The picture below is of his feces I retrieved from his bath this am. The white part is very gelatin like. Thoughts?

Thank you ,

Emily

image.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings?

How large of a Sully? Do you have it outside on grass with a night box or inside or a combo?

Lethargy in the Summer....either dehydrated, too hot, too cold, ate something bad. If it’s outside in the heat, does it have a nice cool shady spot to rest? Our Sully comes out early (0630) now in the Summer, grazes about, then finds a cool spot until the cooler evening. Snacks & grazes then to bed. It’s been hot here (as well as TN). maybe you are just seeing your tort “relaxing” during this heat wave.

Check out “crepuscular” activity (in heat)....

Tortoises are reptile species of the family Testudinidae of the order Testudines ( the turtles). ... They are usually diurnal animals with tendencies to be crepuscular depending on the ambient temperatures.

Good luck - don’t be too quick to have the vet inject anything until you really see what’s wrong..

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Emily, and welcome to the Forum!

There's nothing wrong with those feces. The white part is quite normal and as long as it isn't hard and crumbly, it means he's well hydrated. That is called urates, and normal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mikie has been lethargic for a couple of days and hasn't eaten. Only wants to hide. Been giving him long baths and I have him a doctors appointment this afternoon. The picture below is of his feces I retrieved from his bath this am. The white part is very gelatin like. Thoughts?

Hello and welcome Emily. We need more info. What size tortoise and how are you housing it? I agree with everything Mark and Yvonne said.

emilycrisp

TN
Greetings?

How large of a Sully? Do you have it outside on grass with a night box or inside or a combo?

Lethargy in the Summer....either dehydrated, too hot, too cold, ate something bad. If it’s outside in the heat, does it have a nice cool shady spot to rest? Our Sully comes out early (0630) now in the Summer, grazes about, then finds a cool spot until the cooler evening. Snacks & grazes then to bed. It’s been hot here (as well as TN). maybe you are just seeing your tort “relaxing” during this heat wave.

Check out “crepuscular” activity (in heat)....

Tortoises are reptile species of the family Testudinidae of the order Testudines ( the turtles). ... They are usually diurnal animals with tendencies to be crepuscular depending on the ambient temperatures.

Good luck - don’t be too quick to have the vet inject anything until you really see what’s wrong..

Idk how old he is because I found him in our neighborhood. He's about 9 inches long and 6 inches wide. I'm so confused about what to feed him and what not to feed him. I'm sick with worry cause I've been feeding him a lot of fresh kale in his outside enclosure, I try to let him graze in the yard on clover and grass but he doesn't like that very much. When available I bring him dandelions and offer the zoo med tortoise food. I was negligent with providing enough water because I read somewhere they get most of their water from their food . Afraid of done irreparable damage and it makes me sick

emilycrisp

TN
Hello and welcome Emily. We need more info. What size tortoise and how are you housing it? I agree with everything Mark and Yvonne said.
He's sleeps in an enclosure in my garage during the summer cause it's warm. In the winter I plan on having him inside. Been using cypress mulch for the base . Outside he has a good size enclosure with plenty of shade
Size 9 inches by 6 inches

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's sleeps in an enclosure in my garage during the summer cause it's warm. In the winter I plan on having him inside. Been using cypress mulch for the base . Outside he has a good size enclosure with plenty of shade
Size 9 inches by 6 inches
What are you using to heat and light him in the garage? What are the four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

That is not a sulcata in the picture. That is a marginated tortoise.

Reactions: Ink

emilycrisp

TN
What are you using to heat and light him in the garage? What are the four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

That is not a sulcata in the picture. That is a marginated tortoise.
I was told it was an African spured tortoise which was a sulcota.
I don't keep a light on him at night because it 90 degrees during the day with 100% humidity so figured he'd be ok until I bring him out during the day

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Does he have access to water? Your marginated tortoise is very cute

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Take a look through Chris’ care sheet

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Looks like he needs a nice big pool he can sit in or drink from in his enclosure, and some long soaks a few times per week in an enclosed tub. Keep an eye on him while he is soaking so he does not flip over. Check out the diet sheet for Marginated.
He is beautiful.

emilycrisp

TN
Does he have access to water? Your marginated tortoise is very cute
Awww thank you. I’ve fallen in love with him. The water situation hasn’t been consistent bc I read several places they get water from their food. Not making that mistake again

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was told it was an African spured tortoise which was a sulcota.
I don't keep a light on him at night because it 90 degrees during the day with 100% humidity so figured he'd be ok until I bring him out during the day
Whoever told you that doesn't know either species, and everything else they told you should be suspect too.

Here is the correct care info for them:

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I would soak him or her every day in warm water for 20 to 30 minutes, and just change the water if it gets cold. If you want or can take a picture of his belly and tail to find out if it is a boy or girl.