my tortoise is sick, please help

Catoutofthehat

Location (City and/or State)
Algiers
My tortoise has been sick for a week, at first she ate a little but only using her head, now she doesn't eat anymore, she blinks slowly and doesn't move from a spot in the sun, she keeps her head bent to the left and her limbs are flask, she has white stains around her mouth, in my country vets are rare, and those who treat tortoises are rarer, I found one, took her there, and the first thing he tells me "I don't know much about tortoises" ? he couldn't even tell if she was male or female! He gave her an injection (anti inflammatory) which was very violent, Idk if it was normal, he pulled her limbs and she was terrified, she peed. He also prescribed her vitamine A, an antibiotic and antiparasitic orally, but she won't eat or open her mouth I'm at my wits end in 13 years she's never behaved like this please help

Attachments

• IMG_20210529_165951_1.jpg
    IMG_20210529_165951_1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hopefully an expert will be able to help @Yvonne G

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't give her the vitamin A.

I'm sorry, but there are just too many things that could be wrong that show those symtoms.

My first thought was she's been growing a bladder stone that has finally gotten big enough to be painful, but you'd need an X-ray to diagnose that.

Without access to a tortoise-experienced vet I'm afraid all you can do is make her comfortable and hope for the best.

Set her up in a 10 gallon 'hospital' tank, on paper towels. Try to keep the temperature around 85°F and cover the whole thing with a towel.

Go ahead and place a bit of food in front of her and leave it there all day.

I'm sorry I can't be more help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can also try warm water soaks in a large container that she moves around a lot in. Keep her moving if you have too. It may help push out any blockage.
You can also try soaking in warm water that has added pureed baby food carrots and pedialyte in the soak water. Some times this helps get them eating and will get some nutrients from it.
As Yvonne said don't give the vitamin A it's bad for most torts.
Good luck keep us posted.