My Tortoise is not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejay165

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I don't know if anyone can give me some advice but my tortoise, Jinxy, has stopped eating, he shows interest in food but just don't seem to be able to eat it. Is it possible for tortoises to get something caught in their throats. He wanders round the garden eating dandielion leaves and clover but am concerned he may have eaten something else that has got lodged in his throat. He has had a nice long drink of water today (as it is so hot), but has not eaten now for about 2-3 days. Any help appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Diane: When a sulcata stops eating, it might be a pretty serious problem, as sulcatas are EATING MACHINES!! It is my opinion that if he doesn't eat by tomorrow, a visit to the vet would be in order. You didn't say how big he is, but if its possible, you might try soaking him in room temperature water for a half hour or so. Maybe he needs a little help pooping, and the soak would do the trick. If he's pretty big, a kiddy pool or something like that would do for the soak. Or maybe your bathtub. Put it so that the water comes half-way up his side, where the top meets the bottom. That way he doesn't have to strain to keep his head out of the water.

Keep us posted.

Yvonne

deejay165

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jinxy is 22cm long (from base of shell to top of shell ) and 10cm high, I don't know if that is very big for his age or not as I'm not too well up on tortoises. I've had him now for coming up to 3 years.

redkim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
California
Just to put in something interesting I learned, even though the tortoise has access to water and drinks it, he can still be dehydrated for lack of proper humidity. So Yvonne's post about soaking him is exactly what was recommended for a sulcata that showed symptoms of not eating or listlessness (Granted there could be other problems - but this is a start). Regular soaks and proper humidity are necessary. I know my little guy is always voracious after a nice warm water soak . . . must get him all revved up!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Diane is there some way you could post a pic of Jinxy. That would be most helpful.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Regardless of species or size I would be really nervous if my tortoise haven't eaten in three days despite the hot weather. I would bring him/her to the vet soon, just make sure you find a good vet that has extensive experience/knowledge with tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.