My Tortoise is hurt. Looking for a vet. But, anyone have any ideas?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Looks like a skin tag or some kind of abnormal growth for sure. I’m not sure what a latched on tick might look like on a tort‘s leg.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can try tying something tight around the base of it to cut off the blood supply. In a few days it will drop off. But have some styptic powder handy in case it bleeds.

KronksMom

Illinois
Is it crusty where it attaches to his leg? It looks like there might be a bit of a crust. Does it all feel like it's the same consistency? No harder parts? If it's producing any pus of any kind, or feels like there's a hard spot, I would get it looked at by an expert. Sometimes if something is under the skin (a splinter or something like that) it can produce what looks like a skin tag or boil or pimple, but it's actually an encapsulated foreign object the body is trying the remove slowly. This actually looks like a keloid (basically an overgrowth of scar tissue), but I don't know if tortoises keloid like mammals do. If it is just a keloid, they are harmless unless they grow so big that they inhibit movement or some other function in some way. But still, you don't know what gave him the scar that started the keloiding process. There could be something trapped inside. My husband once squeezed a 1.5cm piece of metal out of his hand like he was popping a pimple. For a year he was unaware that's what that bump was, he thought it was a ganglion cyst. The body just keeps building barriers around the foreign body until that capsule is quite large. Then it pushes the whole capsule out. Sorry to ramble. Weird the things our bodies do.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
Do you think it irritates him or not bothered. It’s hard to get a Vet not centered on money. When Duckster was sick it was clear that without 1000 bucks he was gonna stay sick. It really made me upset.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you think it irritates him or not bothered. It’s hard to get a Vet not centered on money. When Duckster was sick it was clear that without 1000 bucks he was gonna stay sick. It really made me upset.
You want vets to work for free? You want them to lose money by discounting services? Do you have any idea the debt they accrue in vet school and the overhead they incur to keep their clinics open on a daily basis? All the federal and state laws that cost them thousands of dollars each month? The electric bills, rent, and employee payroll? The astronomical cost of medical supplies? I do. Frankly I don't know why any of them do it, other than a genuine love for the animals they treat. Ain't none of them getting rich.