My tortoise is constantly violent, help please?

Kentcalling

Location (City and/or State)
Rochester Kent South East England
Nobody thinks that of you. We're just trying to warn you that past behaviors become real & sad problems today or tomorrow if you don't make adjustments in the best interests of your tort. You're his caregiver. We're here to help.
I am making all of the adjustments I have been advised of today and I will keep watching and reading the forum. Also I am sorry I got so upset last night, I came here for some advice and the first few messages really beat me up and I was been told off for things I wasnt doing like having 2 tortoises in one enclosure and not having big enough enclosures but nobody asked what size it was and it seemed like I had been judged as a bad tortoise owner and that just isn't fair. Like I said I didn't choose to be a tortoise owner, my mum had a massive brain haemorrhage and died so I had to give them a home and I have tried to read as many books possible to give them everything they need to be happy, healthy, and comfortable. And their enclosures are awesome I will take some photos to show you. And I really love them. Thank you to everyone for your advice and I hope that I can ask you all for advice in the future please?

And a special thank you Angie, lyn W and Krista XXX

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I am making all of the adjustments I have been advised of today and I will keep watching and reading the forum. Also I am sorry I got so upset last night, I came here for some advice and the first few messages really beat me up and I was been told off for things I wasnt doing like having 2 tortoises in one enclosure and not having big enough enclosures but nobody asked what size it was and it seemed like I had been judged as a bad tortoise owner and that just isn't fair. Like I said I didn't choose to be a tortoise owner, my mum had a massive brain haemorrhage and died so I had to give them a home and I have tried to read as many books possible to give them everything they need to be happy, healthy, and comfortable. And their enclosures are awesome I will take some photos to show you. And I really love them. Thank you to everyone for your advice and I hope that I can ask you all for advice in the future please?

And a special thank you Angie, lyn W and Krista XXX
This tort thing is a lot to take in, in addition to suddenly losing your mum. I am so sorry for your loss. Be well. It will get better.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi @Kentcalling (I’m in Tonbridge by the way :) )

Joe was exceptional. The story of his hormonal issues can be read here

The behaviour you describe isn’t what Joe was going through. His excessively high testosterone levels were making him focus on sex so much that he wasn’t eating or drinking. He lost one third of his bodyweight and kept getting liver infections.

The behaviour you describe is completely normal male tortoise.

Don’t get him a mate. She will be hounded so much she will become withdrawn, stop eating and become very sick.

Please give him territory that is entirely his. Letting him roam your territory is causing him stress. That’s what the attacks on you are… stress. Your tortoise is anxious and defending himself. He needs somewhere to feel safe. Space entirely his own without you, or your dog, where he can patrol and be satisfied that there are no intruders.

You provide him with a large area to patrol and he will still pace the boundaries, that’s normal, but he stays there and doesn’t move.

That said if you can get him outside then he will be even happier. This is my thread on how I kept Joe outdoors except when he hibernated,.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We love to see pics and look forward to hearing more about how you and your torts get on.
All torts hate changes so don't be surprised if there's some sulking for a few days because of any you've made.
There is a lot of old information about tort keeping still being circulated on the internet, by pet shops and even by some vets so if you've any queries make this forum your first port of call for help.
We've all made mistakes to start with but thankfully we have lots of people here to share their experiences and point us in the right direction.
Take care.