My tortoise is climbing the walls

Nutkins82

Location (City and/or State)
Otley, leeds
Hi everyone, I took on a rescue spur thigh just over two months ago now as she was left on the doorstep of my place of work. She was in a very bad way and the vets didn’t think she’d make it, she is about 30 or 40 yrs old the vets reckons and has been thriving eating plenty and a good varied diet putting weight on. The table I bought was a panic buy as needed something for her I always knew it wasn’t big enough..! My dad has made a new table for her she’s had it a week today and she is not happy with it at all, hardly eating anything wrecking the place and has now started climbing in the corners she has never tried this before. Tried putting her back in the old table to see if she would calm down, which she did for abit sat under her lamp just basking then suddenly become hyperactive almost pacing up and down the side rubbing/banging her shell against the sides and trying to climb the sides again.
I’m really getting upset about this as she was absolutely fine until I moved her I know they don’t like change and I knew she wouldn’t appreciate it straight away but I can see she’s getting very stressed by it all and I don’t honestly know what to do for the best. Main question is will she settle..? I’ve taken everything out of her new home and just left basics in for her but for the hours I work I’m very worried she’s going to either get out or is going to flip herself and not be able to get up. It’s all wood the new house so no glass and substrate is a mix of soil and coco coir temps are good. Any help will be much appreciated

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi everyone, I took on a rescue spur thigh just over two months ago now as she was left on the doorstep of my place of work. She was in a very bad way and the vets didn’t think she’d make it, she is about 30 or 40 yrs old the vets reckons and has been thriving eating plenty and a good varied diet putting weight on. The table I bought was a panic buy as needed something for her I always knew it wasn’t big enough..! My dad has made a new table for her she’s had it a week today and she is not happy with it at all, hardly eating anything wrecking the place and has now started climbing in the corners she has never tried this before. Tried putting her back in the old table to see if she would calm down, which she did for abit sat under her lamp just basking then suddenly become hyperactive almost pacing up and down the side rubbing/banging her shell against the sides and trying to climb the sides again.
I’m really getting upset about this as she was absolutely fine until I moved her I know they don’t like change and I knew she wouldn’t appreciate it straight away but I can see she’s getting very stressed by it all and I don’t honestly know what to do for the best. Main question is will she settle..? I’ve taken everything out of her new home and just left basics in for her but for the hours I work I’m very worried she’s going to either get out or is going to flip herself and not be able to get up. It’s all wood the new house so no glass and substrate is a mix of soil and coco coir temps are good. Any help will be much appreciated
Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm not an expert and I'm sure they could answer you better. But my thoughts are that the tortoise is finally feeling a bit better and is in a new home. But just now feeling good enough to protest all of the changes. So go slow. The perfect place would be in a large enclosure but change is really hard for them so be as patient and slow as you can. The other thing is the enclosure itself and where it's located would give the experts a better idea of the advice to give you. Can you post pictures?

Nutkins82

Otley, leeds
Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm not an expert and I'm sure they could answer you better. But my thoughts are that the tortoise is finally feeling a bit better and is in a new home. But just now feeling good enough to protest all of the changes. So go slow. The perfect place would be in a large enclosure but change is really hard for them so be as patient and slow as you can. The other thing is the enclosure itself and where it's located would give the experts a better idea of the advice to give you. Can you post pictures?

Attachments

• ACAB33CE-9C49-45B7-94D0-D20BD320BC43.jpeg
    ACAB33CE-9C49-45B7-94D0-D20BD320BC43.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23

Nutkins82

Otley, leeds
This is the new house I hadn’t added everything in at this point and I have ordered separate lighting as well which will be here tomorrow. Unsure if it’s the substrate she doesn’t like as it was a tortoise mix one she had in her old house. I have moved it to the other side of my bedroom so away from the window being open and any drafts etc… I do generally think she is having a strip because of the move..!! Tried putting her back in the old smaller table sat for a while but then started trying to climb the sides again which she never tried before I moved her

TaylorTortoise

Abington
She is probably going through stress with change from her enclosure. She should adapt and things should get better as time goes by, for now you definitely need to add a hut or some type of hide for your tortoise. He/she probably feels unsafe.

Nutkins82

Otley, leeds
She is probably going through stress with change from her enclosure. She should adapt and things should get better as time goes by, for now you definitely need to add a hut or some type of hide for your tortoise. He/she probably feels unsafe.
Thank you I’ve bought a wooden hide for her today and put that in and new lights are coming tomorrow. I just don’t want her injuring herself or getting that stressed she makes herself ill, she’s still passing urine and feaces which is good. I knew it wouldn’t be as easy move I think we are both getting stressed..!