My tortoise is an idiot...

tortoisekev

Location (City and/or State)
UK
I've posted a couple of times recently about how much my tortoise seems to want to climb over or up everything - his pot, the plants, even up the walls. It doesn't appear to be because he's trying to get out necessarily, and I have been partially reassured reading other people's similar experiences.

Anyway, I thought I'd add to my post count and provide you with something entertaining to watch! 2 short videos of my tortoise being a bit of an idiot!

Video 1: My Tortoise Thinks He's Spiderman!

Video 2: Tortoise Time Lapse

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I've posted a couple of times recently about how much my tortoise seems to want to climb over or up everything - his pot, the plants, even up the walls. It doesn't appear to be because he's trying to get out necessarily, and I have been partially reassured reading other people's similar experiences.

Anyway, I thought I'd add to my post count and provide you with something entertaining to watch! 2 short videos of my tortoise being a bit of an idiot!

That time laps was really cute!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Lol you've definitely got a climber.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I LOVED the time lapse!!! That was so much fun to watch.

tortoisekev

UK
No one said how stressful owning a tortoise was... he’s flipped himself onto his back at least 4 times today!!

Thank god I work from home (and have the camera set up!). Have to keep coming down to turn him over when it’s clear he’s not going to do it himself!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How old is he? Is he sexually mature? Looks like maybe.....lol. Mounting as opposed to climbing.

tortoisekev

UK
How old is he? Is he sexually mature? Looks like maybe.....lol. Mounting as opposed to climbing.

He’s exactly 3 1/2 years old. When do they sexually mature? Still not 100% sure if he’s a boy or girl, either way he’ll stay “Kevin”!

I’ve had him 4-5 months now, so maybe he’s just more relaxed in his table?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He’s exactly 3 1/2 years old. When do they sexually mature? Still not 100% sure if he’s a boy or girl, either way he’ll stay “Kevin”!

I’ve had him 4-5 months now, so maybe he’s just more relaxed in his table?
Don't really have any specific info on these as to when they mature...others will soon see this and help, I hope. It just seems to me that "he" is really coming on pretty strong! Cute videos! Love the sped-up one. Looks like "do or die...!":D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Lovely! God bless.

Thanks for sharing.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Climbing- many tortoise species pretty much live on hillsides, and a lot of species LOVE to clamber. My redfoots amazed me when I made them a big outdoor pen with a big brush pile and they immediately climbed up inside that thing. I strongly think that any good tortoise habitat should include lots of uneven ground or climbing opportunities- although that means that we as keepers and designers have to work harder to keep them safe and secure.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Climbing- many tortoise species pretty much live on hillsides, and a lot of species LOVE to clamber. My redfoots amazed me when I made them a big outdoor pen with a big brush pile and they immediately climbed up inside that thing. I strongly think that any good tortoise habitat should include lots of uneven ground or climbing opportunities- although that means that we as keepers and designers have to work harder to keep them safe and secure.
And of course, climbing sometimes results in tipping over and ending up on their backs. Which is fine as long as they can right themselves.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
And of course, climbing sometimes results in tipping over and ending up on their backs. Which is fine as long as they can right themselves.
One benefit of having a group of torts is that they often help each other flip back, even though no one really knows if they are being helpful, curious, or just wandering around.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
One benefit of having a group of torts is that they often help each other flip back, even though no one really knows if they are being helpful, curious, or just wandering around.
I am actually almost positive that they are not being helpful...but maybe I am just cynical in my old age!