My tortoise has crying eyes and bubbles

Toasty173

Location (City and/or State)
IL
My tortoise is 3 years old and I had her for 1 year I noticed that her eyes are wet and had bubbles i dont know what it means and I’m scared that she’s sick can someone help me

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
To me it sounds like she is producing more tears than usual, generally caused by irritation.
Your UVB light...is it a curly compact light? Or is it a fluorescent tube type?

Have you changed her substrate lately?

Is there any swelling or sore looking places? Is her third eyelid open?

What I would do is get a bottle of sterile saline. You would find it in the contact lens department in any pharmacy. Wash each eye thoroughly, especially around the lids. If you can get some in there with the third eyelid open, that would be great. Also get a bottle of "Refresh Tears" eye drops. They are just a soothing drop, no medicine. Put a drop of this into each eye.

I'm saying this because you said eyes...if there is any wheezing, whistling, or nose drainage, that's different.

Toasty173

IL
To me it sounds like she is producing more tears than usual, generally caused by irritation.
Your UVB light...is it a curly compact light? Or is it a fluorescent tube type?

Have you changed her substrate lately?

Is there any swelling or sore looking places? Is her third eyelid open?

What I would do is get a bottle of sterile saline. You would find it in the contact lens department in any pharmacy. Wash each eye thoroughly, especially around the lids. If you can get some in there with the third eyelid open, that would be great. Also get a bottle of "Refresh Tears" eye drops. They are just a soothing drop, no medicine. Put a drop of this into each eye.

I'm saying this because you said eyes...if there is any wheezing, whistling, or nose drainage, that's different.

Toasty173

IL
Her uvb light is a mini compact light 10.0 and I haven’t changed her substrate for 3 months and there is no wheezing or no whistle

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The UVB light could be the problem. Many times we have seen these lights hurt eyes.

Turn it off. Just leave it off for a few days. Take her outside for a bit of sunshine each day. That will give her all the UVB she needs. After a few days, if her eyes are better, you will know the bulb was the culprit.

Please, let us know the result. If it was the bulb, we can talk about options.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree the light is the problem, but the symptoms also fit overheating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Her uvb light is a mini compact light 10.0 and I haven’t changed her substrate for 3 months and there is no wheezing or no whistle
Those bulbs are ineffective as UV sources, and sometimes they burn tortoise eyes. They shouldn't be used or sold.

Tortoises do not need UV every day. They can go weeks with no UV at all and be perfectly fine. I agree with Karen's recommendation to just turn it off. If you want indoor UV, you can order up a more effective safe bulb and wait for it. Your tortoise will suffer no harm whatsoever, even if it takes the new bulb 2 months to arrive. If you planning on sunning your tortoise in a safe outdoor pen over the summer, you can skip the UV tube until fall. If you plant to hibernate your tortoise when the weather turns cold again, you can skip the UV all together.

Toasty173

IL
Those bulbs are ineffective as UV sources, and sometimes they burn tortoise eyes. They shouldn't be used or sold.

Tortoises do not need UV every day. They can go weeks with no UV at all and be perfectly fine. I agree with Karen's recommendation to just turn it off. If you want indoor UV, you can order up a more effective safe bulb and wait for it. Your tortoise will suffer no harm whatsoever, even if it takes the new bulb 2 months to arrive. If you planning on sunning your tortoise in a safe outdoor pen over the summer, you can skip the UV tube until fall. If you plant to hibernate your tortoise when the weather turns cold again, you can skip the UV all together.
Hey what UV bulb do you recommend for her