My tortoise has cracked cheek.

Turtledove1986

Location (City and/or State)
BRIDGWATER
Hi everyone!

We've had our Hermann Miss Honey from an early age and we brought her up in a nice viv setup. She's now 5 years old (and huge) and lives in an outside enclosure with a run and heated indoor sleep area. She hibernated for the first time this winter too. Woke up around 3 weeks ago. However, since coming outside she's been very slow (she used to shoot around in her viv!) and doesn't really want to wake up in the mornings, not even when the sun is beaming! I know the obvious answer is it might still be a bit chilly as she loves to snooze in her heated box. I get her up in the mornings and she basks for a while then seems to come to life and off she goes! But she'll usually find somewhere to sleep after a good old veg out and a mooch about. Just wondering is this normal tortoise behaviour when switching to an outside enclosure? It's been roughly a year (5 months of which she hibernated).

Also, she has this crack on her cheek which I've been hoping will break off but it hasn't. Please see pic (excuse the strawberry tash!)20200406_165727.jpg

Not sure what to do about the crack? Is this normal? I've now switched her feeding tray to slate hoping this might encourage it to shed? Everytime I start to touch her face she just shoots back in her shell...

Thanks ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Try to keep it clean with nothing stuck in the crack. As new beak grows, just like as if you cracked a nail down into the nail bed, the new growth won't be cracked.