My tortoise doesn't really move...

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
So I have a Redfoot that I got with a respiratory infection, and I've been giving her shots every 3 days and soaking her daily. She seems active enough during those times, but I usually have to coerce her to move about.

She usually just burrows somewhere and stays there for over 12 hours, so I was wondering if I should take her back to the vet again? I've only had her for a week, so I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Photo0050.jpg
    Photo0050.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 130

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might just be a time of adjustment for the tortoise - new environment and all. Be patient and see if she doesn't improve in a week or so.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
She hasn't really eaten in the last three days...I assumed it was because she ate too much 3 days ago, because she is still pooping regularly.
I've been keeping the heat lamp on all night (I ordered a ceramic heater, but it hasn't come in yet) and turning the UVB lights off. Sometimes I will turn the heat lamp off and just put my space heater next to her cage, so I hope she is warm enough. The temperature of her cage is 80 on the cold side.

And I have been injecting her either before or while she is soaking. It's funny because my vet said she doesn't feel it at all...it's so obvious that she feels it :(

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Temperatures is the top priority with any reptilian . So you need to get them right on the money for a sick one . Heat gun is a must have and a good meter . I Would keep the temperature at no lower than 85 degrees day and night . 95 degrees on the hot side during the day with 80% humidity . Soak daily in warm water setting her in the enclosure so the water stays at a good temperature . These things should fix her/ him up .

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Poor baby. I had to give my star tort those injections every three days. Very painful and he did react dramatically. I would never do it again unless it was a matter of life and death. Mine went off food a little too. I think BECAUSE of the drugs which can be hard on them.
Feed favorites during the difficult times. I figure better than nothing. Red and yellow sweet peppers are relished. Cooked sweet potatoes and carrots are high in A which will help with the upper respiratory infection. Also mine love soaked Mazuri.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I've been keeping the heat lamp on all night

If this heat lamp is a bright light then I would go to the store (like a walmart or target) and purchase a black light bulb for heat (no less than 75 watt) and this will at least allow your tort to have the bright light off for sleeping....

Also, how did you determine the tort was sick? Please make sure if you are going to inject antibiotics to do daily soaks of warm water or at least 30 minutes...I also would decrease the humidity a bit during the time you are treating if the tort indeed does have RI.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
The heat lamp is a bright light - I bought a CHE for her that hasn't come in the mail yet..

And the previous owner didn't think she was sick, but you could tell her eyes were watery and bubbling up, and she was squeaking when she breathed. I insisted he take her to the vet, and the vet told him she had a "cold" and to administer some medicine.

That's when I took her to my house, because he has been leaving the tortoise at our workplace. We work 9-5 Monday through Friday, so Charlotte (the tortoise) had no heat lamp or humidity during the weekends. I figured as well that 8 hours of heat a day for a sick tortoise was bad news...

I brought her home during Christmas break, but I can assure you I am trying to make her as comfortable as possible!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
but I can assure you I am trying to make her as comfortable as possible!

:D I figured that so this is why I suggested the inexpensive black night heat bulbs...kinda cheap cost at the big box stores....this would allow darker at night until you get the che....that was all.