My tortoise doesnt like heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

For My Tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
[/size][/font]I have a greek spurthighed Tortoise that is over 8 years old, who knows the real age, we got him as an adult in a pet store 9 years ago. I am in colorado and he has lived outside in the summer and inside in the winter with my sister, when I took him over 4 years ago he is part outside and part inside, mostly inside this summer cause he learned how to get out of his 2x9 foot inclosure. He loves to bask in the sun or under his light. He has the free run of a few rooms in the house except his time in his container to eat and potty. After he is in there awhile he wants out and tries to climb the sides, his freedom has taught him he hates to be penned up in a small area. He knows the layout of the rooms he can acess, he knows what windows the sun comes thru and what time of day and makes sure he is there. The problem I have is he wants to park near where the colder areas at night like near the door where the cool air comes thru, it's like he seeks out the cool areas as much as he seeks out the hot ones. In winter he will find an area under the bed or something and sleep for about 5-10 days at a time either he comes out on his own or I retrive him to warm huim up and give him a meal. He is healthy and gets vet checks as needed. Is it ok to let him decied for himself what tempeture he wants to be in! He is very smart and sometimes will come when he is called, he will be in the bedroom and we call him from the kitchen and he comes into the laundry room towards the kitchen. He can't get into the kitchen cause there is a high step.

Attachments

• MVC-053S.jpg
    MVC-053S.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 42

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi,
You have a Libyan greek tortoise, Testudo graeca cyrenaica. They need to be warm at night. Mine tend to get runny noses if they get colder than 60F at night. They don't hibernate in the wild, mine breed and lay eggs in the winter.
You really should have your tortoise in his/her enclosure at all times inside. You can always build a larger one, but it's better for the tortoise.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi "For My Tortoise": May we know your name? Your tortoise is very pretty, and probably the reason she is so healthy is because your sister cared for her properly. They really do need to be outside. Take off your clothes and lay on the floor. Your body has a built-in heater and stays at 98.6 degrees. The tortoise's body doesn't have that heater and is only as warm as the air or floor it is on. So if your house is 70 degrees or so, the floor is probably colder, as you will see when you try my naked experiment. A tortoise needs to be at least 80 degrees in order to digest its food. If he's wandering around on the cold floor, even 70 degrees it too cold. It is just plain not healthy for him. Please try to fix his outdoor pen so that he can't escape, and build him a nice indoor pen where he can have the correct temperature for his health. A cheap way to go is to look around yard sales for an old 4 or 5 shelf wooden bookcase. Lay the case on its back and remove the shelves. Line it with a sheet of cheap plastic and put in the substrate, lights and hiding place. Easy and good for the tortoise!!

Welcome to the forum, "For My Tortoise!" Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.