My tortoise doesn’t trust me

MZP

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
My tortoise doesn’t trust me very much. How do I get them to trust me? I tried hand feeding him and he just walks away from me. Can someone help?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry. Torts take time to adjust to a new environment.

Any pics?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
My tortoise doesn’t trust me very much. How do I get them to trust me? I tried hand feeding him and he just walks away from me. Can someone help?
How long have you had your tortoise? Yours may be a nervous one and sometimes I think that is a good indicator that your tortoise is alert and aware of his environment. Some of mine let me rub there heads and don’t retract their heads and one gives me a almighty nip when I try the same thing:D

MZP

Massachusetts
I’ve had him for about a year and he never reacts to me, he just eats what I give him and sleeps.

xMario

Germany
I spoke to my little sulcata like 2 hours a day and also spoke to him while soaking
Then after he didn't go back into his shell while I'm louder I slowly tried to pet him on his head after 5 days he was ok to get touched on the head so now if I go into the room and he hears the door he directly moves to the side where I open my setup to get picked up for a soak and obviously cause I'm his food God
It just takes time every tortoise is different [emoji16]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises are wild animals. They haven't gone through years and years of human intervention to make them domesticated. He probably never will 'trust' you, but with time and doing things the same over and over, he will eventually get to know you mean him no harm.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The tortoise probably trusts you already. If he/she didn't trust you the darling would be throwing a hissy fit instead of walking away.