My Tortoise Died (How I learned my Lesson)

tedthetortoise2

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I mainly lurk on this forum, acquiring tips and hints of how to care for a tortoise. I implemented these in what I thought to be a good way. I got a russian tortoise and he was healthy, active, and bright. Not two weeks later he slowed down and on his way to the vet he died. I made a rookie mistake. I bought one from petsmart. Testing showed he had a blood disease. Please, if you're considering of buying a tortoise from any major retailer, know that looking healthy doesnt always mean healthy. Dont take your chances. Get one from a reptile store or one on this forum. I learned the hard way.

tedthetortoise2

Minnesota
Damn hard way to learn a lesson! Please remember you did nothing wrong, especially "on the way to the vet" that is good owner behavior. I hope this doen't deter you from getting one from a true reliable source on TFO.
Yeah I'm getting one from a local reptile store that's family owned. I bought so much I need to get another one. Thanks for the support.

Bee62

Germany
I am sorry that your tortoise died. I`ve heard nothing good from petsmart. Often tortoises from there died. It was not your fault. Start again with another tortoise from a good breeder.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The one I'm getting hatched on May 14th so its pretty young
Scary for me, but there are loads of people on TFO that have used Tortstork to hatch their own. Just make sure to ask- How Often Do You Soak, WHat are the temps and humididty numbers for their enclosure, what are you feeding them. If they can't or refuse to answer that is a clue! A proud raiser of tortoises will welcome your questions

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah I'm getting one from a local reptile store that's family owned. I bought so much I need to get another one. Thanks for the support.
You are likely to have the same problem with one purchased at a smaller pet store, and also get bad advice and the wrong products.

Buy directly from a breeder who starts them correctly and can advise you on the best ways to house them. I've personally bought from @Carol S and @kanalomele and highly recommend both of them. There are other good sellers here too, but I don't have first hand experience with them.

Read this: