My tortoise and its enclosure

Location (City and/or State)
East Hartford
I have a redfoot I named sally even though I'm not totally sure shes a female. I currently live in a small apartment with a even smaller room. When I got her I had no idea she would need so much space. That being said I have her in a 75 gallon enclosure which is the most I can fit in my room atm. I plan to give her all the space she needs in the future and I do not plan on getting another any time soon. Any tips or general opinions would be appreciated16229009285132648079797294730446.jpg16229010046327264966148006288072.jpg16229010376191858975062046517665.jpg16229012001532297188660231824369.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Change out the water dish which is dangerous for a flatter clay saucer and bury it level with the substrate.
I would also get a flatter feeding dish. Flat pieces of clay/ceramic tile work good and helps keep beak trimmed.
The puck like gauge is very unreliable, change it out for a digital that reads temp and humidity and put it at tort level.
She already pyramided so you really want to keep humidity up while keeping the top layer of substrate dry.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Are all of the pebbles too large to fit into her mouth? Swallowing one of those would be a problem.

I would put some more real plants in. Plants do a great job of helping keep the humidity up, especially if you spritz them now and then.

Just be sure to grow them from seed or take cuttings from chemical-free plants.

East Hartford
Are all of the pebbles too large to fit into her mouth? Swallowing one of those would be a problem.

I would put some more real plants in. Plants do a great job of helping keep the humidity up, especially if you spritz them now and then.

Just be sure to grow them from seed or take cuttings

Just be sure to grow them from seed or take cuttings from chemical-free plants.
What type of plants should I grow and will they grow in coconut fiber substrate

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You need high humidity. Over 75%

You need it warm. Not hot. 80° to 86°f

You need uvb light via a T5 5.0 linear florescent tube.

Describe your heating and lighting, please.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
"What type of plants should I grow and will they grow in coconut fiber substrate"

There are lots of plants to try. Pothos, Boston fern, spider plants, and prayer plants are all good. Also any kind of bromeliad, African violets, and geraniums, pansies, petunias...

They will grow in coco fiber. I find it easier to put them in pots and sink the pot partway down into the substrate. They aren't quite as easy to knock over. Plus, many of these your tort is going to eat. They are all safe for eating.

East Hartford
"What type of plants should I grow and will they grow in coconut fiber substrate"

There are lots of plants to try. Pothos, Boston fern, spider plants, and prayer plants are all good. Also any kind of bromeliad, African violets, and geraniums, pansies, petunias...

They will grow in coco fiber. I find it easier to put them in pots and sink the pot partway down into the substrate. They aren't quite as easy to knock over. Plus, many of these your tort is going to eat. They are all safe for eating.
Thank you this will be a big help

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I HATE being THAT person to tell you. But both of those are no-no items.
The red bulbs make everything look red and Redfoot like to eat red things. Thst leads to all kinds of impaction issues.
You need a CHE on a thermostat. It provides heat with no light.
That UVB light is a coiled/spiral, compact cfl.
We have many posts reporting serious eye issues and even MBD caused by them.
You need aT5 strip florescent.

Attachments

• 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200131_082139.jpg
    20200131_082139.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 5
East Hartford
Change out the water dish which is dangerous for a flatter clay saucer and bury it level with the substrate.
I would also get a flatter feeding dish. Flat pieces of clay/ceramic tile work good and helps keep beak trimmed.
The puck like gauge is very unreliable, change it out for a digital that reads temp and humidity and put it at tort level.
She already pyramided so you really want to keep humidity up while keeping the top layer of substrate dry.
Thank u will do
I HATE being THAT person to tell you. But both of those are no-no items.
The red bulbs make everything look red and Redfoot like to eat red things. Thst leads to all kinds of impaction issues.
You need a CHE on a thermostat. It provides heat with no light.
That UVB light is a coiled/spiral, compact cfl.
We have many posts reporting serious eye issues and even MBD caused by them.
You need aT5 strip florescent.
Can you please send me links to buy the ones I need

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is the UVB fixture and bulb you need...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PNK42W8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CX5HXI2/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Screenshot_20210606-195955_Amazon Shopping.jpg

This is a ceramic heat emitter (CHE), and a digital thermometer comes with them.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V7D8Q3X/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

This is a ceramic socket for the CHE. You could probably get one for less at Lowe's or Home Depot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YWPPLMH/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

And finally, a thermostat to control the CHE.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PC8NSB1/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20