My tort just ate a mushroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern USA
I was romping Myrtle today for 30 minutes and reading my Kindle while she ran. I looked up to see her eating something, checked on her, and she was eating a mushroom!

I am worried that these might be poisonous. They are about nickel-sized and brown colored. The tops are flat and look like pancakes. I think she might have eaten about 1 1/2 by the time I picked her up, but I'm not sure. By now, it's been about 20/25 minutes and she is showing no symptoms and eating her food. Should I take away her food? I thought that it would be good to get something else in her stomach, because she had had no breakfast when she ate the mushrooms.

Any thoughts about the identity of these mushrooms would be greatly appreciated! I have looked online and am fairly sure they are not any of the deadly (for humans) mushrooms, but I can't be sure.

Thanks,
TortoiseLuv0131

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Can you post pic of mushroom? It would be helpful in identifying it. What kind of tort do you have?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
THere are many species of mushrooms and many of them look very similar, so much so that even mycologist sometimes have a tough time telling them apart. Some are totally harmless while others are deadly toxic. All you can do at this point is watch and wait.

One more reason to have a dedicated enclosure and not let them run around loose.

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Eastern USA
Thanks everyone! As of now (about 4 1/2 hours after her exposure to the mushrooms) she has not exhibited any unnatural signs, so I thinks she's going to be OK. I'll monitor her behavior more closely after this.

@Tom, about the dedicated enclosure, I definitely see your point. I am probably going to build her a large enclosure once I get her indoor cage done. Thanks everyone for responding!

Status
Not open for further replies.