astrolia

Location (City and/or State)
Victorville CA
good morning all. Earlier this week, my 17 year old Russian Box tort was taken to a vet for fluid build up / swelling. As a result her kidneys look good, her nose/eyes look good, and she received an antibiotic shot in case of an RI. In spite of her swelling, she is eating and has high energy. However I should say.. it’s almost too high!! She lives in a 50 gallon tank by herself. I live in Los Angeles and have a desert landscape backyard. Most days, she roams outside, burrows, climbs, and released her energy outdoors. But lately it’s been raining in LA and I don’t want her to worsen any illness she already has. I also don’t want her to roam indoors because we keep our house fairly cold as opposed to the 75-100 degree F heat regulated in her enclosure. Right now she is scratching her glass, climbing on plants, climbing on her hides, in and out of her water bowl, basically going crazy for the past 3 hours. I just gave her a 30 minute soak and it did not tire her one bit. Any advice!? Thank you in advance!

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I have never heard of a reptile with Cushing's Disease, but that does not mean that reptiles do not grow tumors that cause over-production of cortisol in the body. Which, over time, can certainly lead to heart/kidney failure and symptoms of dementia.

If you have access to a reptile-dedicated practice, they might have more insight and diagnostic options for you:

I'm so sorry you are both going through this!