My Sulcata Tortoise Littlefoot

xMario

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Cuuute tortoise but i read that Salad is very very bad for tortoises
I don't know where u read that.
Salad is totally fine as an occasional treat obviously u shouldn't overfeed but he gets salad only 1 time every two months so salad is not very very bad :)

CeIina

Germany
I don't know where u read that.
Salad is totally fine as an occasional treat obviously u shouldn't overfeed but he gets salad only 1 time every two months so salad is not very very bad :)
But I read it causes bumby shell and ur tortoise can die from this!!!!!

Bee62

Germany
I am really amused about this conversation here.:D
@Celina
You wrote that you are a totally newbie to tortoises. So please read here a lot in the forum but don`t post wrong statements.
I raise my tortoises with lettuce because I live in Germany and weeds are not available the whole year through. My tortoises don`t die but thrive healthy. When you feed the right lettuce like lambs lettuce, escarole, romain or belgium endive it is okay. Even every day.
You should avoid to feed iceberg lettuce because it contains low nutrions and much water.
Not every lettuce is bad and feeding sometimes lettuce will not kill tortoises. That is a fact.;):)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
But I read it causes bumby shell and ur tortoise can die from this!!!!!
What constitutes "salad" in Germany? Maybe it's a language barrier. Here when we say "salad" we're talking about greens, leaves, plants and grasses. This is exactly what tortoises eat in the wild. And lack of moisture plus sitting under a dessicating light is what causes bumpy shell, not diet. And chances are, your tortoise is not going to die rom a bumpy shell.

Bee62

Germany
What constitutes "salad" in Germany? Maybe it's a language barrier. Here when we say "salad" we're talking about greens, leaves, plants and grasses. This is exactly what tortoises eat in the wild. And lack of moisture plus sitting under a dessicating light is what causes bumpy shell, not diet. And chances are, your tortoise is not going to die rom a bumpy shell.
Lettuce = "Salat" in German language.;)