My sulcata swallowed a screw!

Albee

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi guys, more updates on kiwi, I brought him to the vet and the vet recommends him to do x-rays. The result was shocking that he swallowed 2 screws and other foreign things. The vet said surgery was the best choice but the vet didn't have any experience doing tortoise surgery. I'm just thinking are there any other ways to make the screw came out by itself or maybe we need surgery. Kiwi was limp and weak but he still has a good appetite. I post the X-ray result below.

20201107_193626.jpg

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
Hi guys, more updates on kiwi, I brought him to the vet and the vet recommends him to do x-rays. The result was shocking that he swallowed 2 screws and other foreign things. The vet said surgery was the best choice but the vet didn't have any experience doing tortoise surgery. I'm just thinking are there any other ways to make the screw came out by itself or maybe we need surgery. Kiwi was limp and weak but he still has a good appetite. I post the X-ray result below.
maybe feeding him foods that may have a laxative effect?
ive heard cucumber, romaine, and aloe vera/cactus pads can have a laxative effect since it's very "watery"
definitely DON'T do surgery unless you have a vet with experience when it comes to tortoises.
how did he end up swallowing them? was he roaming around the floors?

Albee

Indonesia
maybe feeding him foods that may have a laxative effect?
ive heard cucumber, romaine, and aloe vera/cactus pads can have a laxative effect since it's very "watery"
definitely DON'T do surgery unless you have a vet with experience when it comes to tortoises.
how did he end up swallowing them? was he roaming around the floors?

I have tried to feed him cucumber, tomato, everyday, also soaked him in a warm water but the screw won't come out and he's getting more limp day by day, I'm afraid if im not doing the surgery the infection in his body will keep spreading up. I dont know how he could ended up eating a screw and My though was It's been there for a long time.

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
I have tried to feed him cucumber, tomato, everyday, also soaked him in a warm water but the screw won't come out and he's getting more limp day by day, I'm afraid if im not doing the surgery the infection in his body will keep spreading up. I dont know how he could ended up eating a screw and My though was It's been there for a long time.
@Tom
@mastershake
@KarenSoCal

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I would really try to get some cactus they love it and might really push it.
I would worry like crazy. Good luck!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I can't see the x-ray well...it gets too blurry when I zoom in. Where is the screw? or screws? And how long is it?

The problem with objects like this is the fear that it will puncture the intestine as it moves through.

I don't know what to suggest that hasn't already been mentioned.

I'm concerned about the "limp and weak". If the screw has not punctured anything, it shouldn't be making her sick unless there is already infection, which is extremely serious.

I think you need to find a good exotics vet ASAP.

Albee

Indonesia
I can't see the x-ray well...it gets too blurry when I zoom in. Where is the screw? or screws? And how long is it?

The problem with objects like this is the fear that it will puncture the intestine as it moves through.

I don't know what to suggest that hasn't already been mentioned.

I'm concerned about the "limp and weak". If the screw has not punctured anything, it shouldn't be making her sick unless there is already infection, which is extremely serious.

I think you need to find a good exotics vet ASAP.

The white things that I mark in picture below are all unknown stuffs in his body including screw. I live in Indonesia, lampung which they don't have exotic vet so I dont have other choice but to trust the Vet here.

Attachments

• 20201108_133939.jpg
    20201108_133939.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 67

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
As Karen said this could cause a puncture and if it does it will most likely lead to sepsis. Depending On the metal type of the screws could also cause poisoning. U may have to drive a bit to find someone who can do this.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
If I could see the xray better and the size and type of screws it would Possibly Be easier to recc something. But my years working in a vet office with cases like this usually requires surgery unless they are super small and something like stainless.

Last edited:

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
I opened the pic on my desktop and im honestly not sure that one looking a bit longer will pass through. Its def a big gamble. I am not trying at all to sound rude or mean about it either.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
When I was younger, my cousin had a dalmation who ate razor blades...not once, but twice! The vet said to feed the dog bread, because it would stick to the sharp and hopefully help protect from puncturing as it traveled through. Both times the razor pieces went through with no problem.

But how do you get bread into a tortoise?

Plus, it seems this pile of objects has been there for a while and is not moving, even with laxatives. I don't think it would be good if it all started moving at once.

I think surgery is the only hope this tort has.

Albee

Indonesia
As Karen said this could cause a puncture and if it does it will most likely lead to sepsis. Depending On the metal type of the screws could also cause poisoning. U may have to drive a bit to find someone who can do this.

Thanks for the information, I've decided to do the surgery

Albee

Indonesia
When I was younger, my cousin had a dalmation who ate razor blades...not once, but twice! The vet said to feed the dog bread, because it would stick to the sharp and hopefully help protect from puncturing as it traveled through. Both times the razor pieces went through with no problem.

But how do you get bread into a tortoise?

Plus, it seems this pile of objects has been there for a while and is not moving, even with laxatives. I don't think it would be good if it all started moving at once.

I think surgery is the only hope this tort has.

Yes, The surgery will be on monday tomorrow, Im just hoping that everything will be okay