My sulcata swallowed a screw!

Albee

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
If the foreign material is still in the stomach perhaps endoscopy might retrieve It. But a lot depends on size of the tortoise ( bigger the better) because of equipment limitations. Unfortunately it looks like the material has congregated i. I can’t imagine operating on a tortoise We can only hope it passes on its own and I agree that supportive care and laxative foods are important.

Kiwi had done the surgery, but thanks for the advice ?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If the foreign material is still in the stomach perhaps endoscopy might retrieve It. But a lot depends on size of the tortoise ( bigger the better) because of equipment limitations. Unfortunately it looks like the material has congregated i. I can’t imagine operating on a tortoise We can only hope it passes on its own and I agree that supportive care and laxative foods are important.

Thank you for responding! We need you on this forum!

I think maybe you missed the 2nd page of posts (and now there are 3!). Now that the tort has had surgery, do you have any advice for the owner?

And may I ask your first name? I really dislike possibly referring to someone's gender and being wrong.

Albee

Indonesia
New updates on kiwi, I've just brought him home this evening from the clinic. He's still a bit limp and weak but, the vet said that it's not a big problem since he's in the process of recovery. I need to go back to the clinic every 3 days to get him shots of med. He hasn't eaten anything for today and keep on scratching the edge of his crib. I was wondering if he feels uncomfortable and thinking to get some hay for him. Is it a good idea? Or is there any other solution? Thank you for keep on asking about his conditions, I really appreciate every reply. His cage is also too small, I'm planning to renovate it to make it bigger, but I can't ask for people to work in this pandemic so I have no choice to make a makeshift house out of cardboard ?

20201110_212501.jpg20201110_212515.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hmmm, he just had his stomach opened up. I think hay may be pushing it a bit.

I would only give him soft foods for now...maybe even use a chopper to grind it mushy.

Did the vet offer any post op instructions?

Let's see what others think.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Glad to hear he's home! I would keep using paper towels for substrate instead of hay.

LOL at myself! I thought OP was thinking of feeding him hay! But re-reading, I think you're correct. He's thinking of hay for substrate!

@Albee I would continue to use paper towels. Hay is so pokey...I just think it could irritate the wound.

Albee

Indonesia
LOL at myself! I thought OP was thinking of feeding him hay! But re-reading, I think you're correct. He's thinking of hay for substrate!

@Albee I would continue to use paper towels. Hay is so pokey...I just think it could irritate the wound.
Glad to hear he's home! I would keep using paper towels for substrate instead of hay.

I see thanks for the reply

Albee

Indonesia

Thanks for the reply, Some of my friends said that getting injection is not a good idea, Is that true? Because the vet said I need to go back there for shots

Albee

Indonesia
New updates on kiwi today and he's still not eating anything, just want to know is this normal?

AgataP

Seattle, WA
So glad to hear everything went well!
I was so nervous for you and your tortoise.

I think paper towels are usually recommended and you can take them out easily when needed and keep the area clean.

Wishing you guys quick recovery!!

Really glad to know that it’s over !!!

❤️?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's difficult to know what is normal after a surgery like he had.

Since torts so often stop eating for the slightest thing, I'm not surprised. He's probably in pain and has certainly been through a crisis.

Hopefully in a few days he'll eat.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I'm not an expert, but I'm not surprised he's not eating. He looks like he's large enough that a few days without food shouldn't be a big issue. :<3:

AgataP

Seattle, WA
New updates on kiwi today and he's still not eating anything, just want to know is this normal?

I wouldn’t worry about it yet. The anesthesia itself will make an animal not want to eat for a day or so.
On top of it he is probably on some pain meds feeling out of it.

Maybe you could try mixing a cucumber and some greens and use a syringe to put in his mouth so he gets some water in. Thinking cucumber will be some extra flavor. I would also start slow with all the food for first day or two. Specially that he has not been eating much.

I use to work with vets and it was a pretty standard recommendation with a slow feed first 24h after surgery. I just did the same for my dog this week.

Albee

Indonesia
I wouldn’t worry about it yet. The anesthesia itself will make an animal not want to eat for a day or so.
On top of it he is probably on some pain meds feeling out of it.

Maybe you could try mixing a cucumber and some greens and use a syringe to put in his mouth so he gets some water in. Thinking cucumber will be some extra flavor. I would also start slow with all the food for first day or two. Specially that he has not been eating much.

I use to work with vets and it was a pretty standard recommendation with a slow feed first 24h after surgery. I just did the same for my dog this week.

Thanks for the advice, do you have any tips on how to open his mouth? He keeps on hiding every time I touched him

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Thanks for the advice, do you have any tips on how to open his mouth? He keeps on hiding every time I touched him

Maybe just hold it in front of him for a bit longer. Just give him time. Another option cut in small pieces and just let him be.
Don’t watch him etc. sometimes they get overwhelmed with us looking at them.

I wouldn’t force feed now. He just went through some traumatic experience.
So just let him be for a day or two.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
You need to be extremely careful putting anything into his mouth. I've never had to do it, but from what I've heard, it's very easy to have something go into the trachea to the lungs, causing aspiration pneumonia.

I would only put a drop on his mouth...not try to get it down his throat.

I still would wait for a few days.