My Sulcata only eats spinach leaves...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
I have spent the last five hours driving all over creation getting things "just right" in regards to setting up my indoor and outdoor Sulcata oasis. Lots of time and energy has gone into this (driving a few of you nuts, thank you for putting up with me) but I am close to being DONE.

Anyways... I was at the Petstore looking at a few items that are recommended and overheard this guy talking on the phone (right next to me.) It appears he is ALSO a new owner of a Sulcata and had a basketful of (for lack of a better word) crap. All those tortoise treats and stuff of that nature. Of course since I am TOTALLY OCD I had two pages of items that we needed (well, not NEEDED but suggestions on safe plants and detailed info on light/housing/food etc.) clutched in my hand. I strike up a conversation with the guy when he said to the kid working there "Yea, he really just only eats Spinach leaves. He loves them!" Bells went off in my head, I skim through my notes and see that Spinach leaves are a no, no (okay in moderation, but not great.) I strike up a conversation with him because I wont be able to sleep at night if don't share some of what I have learned... Long story short is I ended up giving him my two pages of info including the back filled with my notes...lol (He said he keeps his tank outside on the porch as well.)

Thanks everyone for teaching me so much already and thanks so much Tom for having it all out easy for us to copy and paste. You might have just saved a Sulcata's life!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Bravo! They will always eat what they are given and if they are only given spinach then they will develope a taste for it. That is going to be one sad little tort very soon. Hopefully he will learn from what you gave him and be able to change and break the little guys eating habits.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is what I like too hear. Something being done about the poor conditions one sees or in your case hears instead of just complaining about it. Good for you for stepping in and speaking up for the tortoise. You did good.:)

Oh and btw, your going to be a great tortoise owner.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wellington said:
This is what I like too hear. Something being done about the poor conditions one sees or in your case hears instead of just complaining about it. Good for you for stepping in and speaking up for the tortoise. You did good.:)

Oh and btw, your going to be a great tortoise owner.

I called it. Several threads ago I said she was going to fit right in here. :D

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Thanks guys! Our wee one arrives TOMORROW! I hope I can sleep tonight! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.