My sulcata keeps flipping over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshtheturtle

5 Year Member
Amos, my 5 month old sulcata keeps ending up upside down. He loves to climb anything he can find, and always falls over. Should he be able to flip himself back over? I'm assuming this happens in the wild, but I hate seeing him struggle so I always flip him back over. should I just leave him or help him? and does this happen to anyone else?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Little ones sometimes do that in a new enclosure, but not usually at five months old. I'd examine what he is flipping himself on and try to make the enclosure a little more flip proof.

boutselis

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Little ones sometimes do that in a new enclosure, but not usually at five months old. I'd examine what he is flipping himself on and try to make the enclosure a little more flip proof.

My Albert, a red footed tortoise, always climbed the fence and found his way onto his back. I left him that way so I could make certain he could get back up right. He always looked like he was in a state of shock when he fell over but after 10 or 20 seconds he would flip himself back onto his feet and angrily walk to his little house.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I find for myself the best way to prevent hatchlings from their desire to climb and then flip over is by providing lots of security/hide areas. None of my hatchlings try to climb or flip upside down anymore because of my setups. I would also try using fake plants/vines and let them find security in hiding in it. This works for me.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I say just watch him for a little bit and see if he flips back over and if it takes to long then give a little assist. I would also try and figure out what's causing him to flip over and try to correct it.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I would, for the time being, make sure he cant flip himself over on things in his home. if it means taking things out then i would do so. i have two hides in Coopers habitat for him to hide in and so far, knock on wood, he has never fliped over! good luck!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
remove all the things he is climbing on and flipping over.. provide plenty of hides he cant climb.. shade, warmth.. shallow water dish he can step into and climb into..
see if that helps..

Status
Not open for further replies.