My sulcata hasnt pooped in a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

erich0518

5 Year Member
My sulata is a few months old an has been doin great. Always eating an moving an everything. He has been hydrated I see him drink an he soaks quite often actually. My wife said she thinks he ate part of his substrate that we have in his home that I made him. Ever since she thinks he ate that he stopped moving much an doesn't eat very much. We also used to clean up his poop once a week an I noticed not only is he not eating much he hasn't pooped in about a week or so. I'm new to the world of tortoises any Input or help would be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you think your tortoise is suffering from impaction, then a vet visit is in order. They can take an X-ray and see if there is a blockage.

Sometimes putting the tortoises in sort of deep water in a large tub where they have to do lots of walking, scrambling, trying to escape, this helps to get them "going" again. But you have to keep an eye on him to be sure he doesn't drown or get upside down. Don't have the water deep enough to cover his head.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of substrate are you using? Also, you should be soaking him every day for 20-30 minutes in warm water, not waiting for him to soak himself. Also, tortoises will eat their own poop, it should be cleaned up every day. If he is not acting right, I would take him to the vets for X-rays. If the substrate is coconut coir, he probably isn't impacted. Knowing the substrate though would help us.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Are your temps high enough?!?! They have the ability to retain digested matter in order to 'insulate' themselves! Keep those temps at between 80F (no cooler)...and as hot as possible (100F +) at their basking spot!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
try feding some canned pumpkin.. NOT the pie filling type..
warmth is very important.. warm water soaks too...
give us an update.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The soaking in a large area does help, I would try that maybe 20-30 min. In warm water. I hope you don't have a impacted tort...you can also try a little mineral oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.