My Sudan Sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Nice shots...I had a little double-take for a second! Funny! With 7 running around my place...I never get tired of looking at YOURS!

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
I agree I always look forward to your updates. They are looking amazing the 1st words that came to mind when I seen them was WOW they are beautiful

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'm of the opinion...and I'm sure you'll agree with me Tom...that Gargantua should relocate and join his (much smaller) siblings in the high desert! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, you know what you'll have to fight through to come get him too! :D

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
ROTFLMMFAO! I'd be more worried about the teeth in there than anything metal! ;)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
These guys are awesome. They seem to be full of personality. Besides that, how are their faces so clean? It's like they had a beard and then it's a fresh clean shave, to say the least. Dexter has quite the weed green beard!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Blake m said:
These guys are awesome. They seem to be full of personality. Besides that, how are their faces so clean? It's like they had a beard and then it's a fresh clean shave, to say the least. Dexter has quite the weed green beard!

I don't know. I don't do anything special. They eat a big pile of grass and weeds and then go outside as soon as its warm enough, where they graze on grass, clover and Testudo seed mix all day, then a soak, and back in. They are getting soaked about three times a week on average now that they are 700+ grams.

I never noticed this until you said something.

You know they poop in their soaks and I rarely see any poop in either their outdoor or indoor enclosures. When I do see the poop, it is clear they are not interested in eating it. Maybe something in the types or quantities of food I feed makes it so they don't feel the need to eat their own poop?

Also, I don't cut up their food. They eat whole weeds, stems and all. And they seem to swallow big chunks vs. chewing off small pieces that might stain them more. Might this be it?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
Blake m said:

I don't know. I don't do anything special. They eat a big pile of grass and weeds and then go outside as soon as its warm enough, where they graze on grass, clover and Testudo seed mix all day, then a soak, and back in. They are getting soaked about three times a week on average now that they are 700+ grams.

I never noticed this until you said something.

You know they poop in their soaks and I rarely see any poop in either their outdoor or indoor enclosures. When I do see the poop, it is clear they are not interested in eating it. Maybe something in the types or quantities of food I feed makes it so they don't feel the need to eat their own poop?

Also, I don't cut up their food. They eat whole weeds, stems and all. And they seem to swallow big chunks vs. chewing off small pieces that might stain them more. Might this be it?

That's funny...because Stanley and Baked Potato not only eat sulcata poop...but they've taking to nibbling dog poop, as well.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Dexter has never eaten his poop, not do I cut his food up. He also is soaked 5 times a week! As long as its not something that I am not doing properly I won't mind it, just wanted to ask.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They haven't seen Mazuri for a while now. Spring brought me a whole lotta weeds and grass, plus my opuntia and grape vines have been on overdrive this year. I guess they still know what Mazuri is and like it. :D

The small blonde one is around 800 grams now and the other ones are all around 7" and 1000 grams. All are doing well.

m4vv6.jpg

2n1zxua.jpg

1jrz9u.jpg

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
i am lost, is there a difference between sudan sulcatas and ... regular sulcatas? i guess, unless i misread. i feel silly asking this question when im such a devoted tfo member lol

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Mine are all having a moderate growth spurt right now...but Climber II has reached 1100 grams and is just under 8"...the next closest are barely more than half of that! So...a few did reach (or exceed) 1000g by their first birthday (5/20/2012)! :tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom said:
They haven't seen Mazuri for a while now. Spring brought me a whole lotta weeds and grass, plus my opuntia and grape vines have been on overdrive this year. I guess they still know what Mazuri is and like it. :D

The small blonde one is around 800 grams now and the other ones are all around 7" and 1000 grams. All are doing well.

m4vv6.jpg

2n1zxua.jpg

1jrz9u.jpg

They are the same species, but these are of a specific type from a known location.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
IRTehDuckie said:
i am lost, is there a difference between sudan sulcatas and ... regular sulcatas? i guess, unless i misread. i feel silly asking this question when im such a devoted tfo member lol

The Sudans are locale specific...to...wait for it...the Sudan! They have a more prehistoric (less streamlined) appearance than the Mali or Senegal...and get typically much larger...with adult males averaging over 250 pounds! Most sulcata for sale in the states are mixed region (or mutts). Only one breeder in the States has managed to maintain this group exclusively...for the past 25 years or so! Tom and I are hoping to change that...in about 10 years! ;)

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
okay, i re read the post, and i understand, i cannot believe how smooth they are, when i read that they were 2x as big i thought mine might be one, because he is massive compared to other 2 and a half year olds. but his scutes are nowhere near that smooth, now i wonder if its me and im doing something wrong D: I wish there was some way i could know, like shell differences or something =\

well let me know when you guys are ready for a buyer! SIGN ME UP! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.