Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Here are some of my CB Sudanese Sulcatas. These are out of the same batch as Dean's, seen here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-NEW-ADDITIONS-TO-THE-HERD#axzz20hdcZWea

In the pic are three of my regular sulcata hatchlings that are just about ready to leave the brooder box, just for size comparison. The hatchlings are 42-44 grams, while the Sudan babies, who are now around two months old range from my runt at 52 grams, to my giant at 114 grams. 5 of them are now over 100 grams and the rest are all in the 80s and 90s. All of these Sudan babies were the size of the tiny hatchlings when we got them just a few weeks ago.
2h2qrya.jpg

Here is where they are getting their sunshine. The green stuff is pasture mix, a few types of flowers, and squash plants.
1z70is2.jpg

They are getting a Mazuri and ZooMed mix two or three times a week, and a wide assortment of grasses, weeds, leaves, cactus and flowers the rest of the time. I'm feeding these babies more fresh cut grass than other sulcata babies I've raised. I would say grass makes up about 60-70% of their diet. They have had no grocery store type greens at all. I just find it kind of neat that I'm able to grow everything they need and not have to buy anything.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Fantastic Tom....great size comparison...and they are beautiful babies for sure...both the "smaller" line and the "larger" line....fun stuff...

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Those lucky little torts look great, Tom. Do they eat the squash plants? Wondering because I have a volunteer squash or pumpkin in my front flower beds. I've been feeding the male blossoms to my torts (no female blossoms have opened yet) and would feed them runners and shoots too, if squash plant is good food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Edna said:
Those lucky little torts look great, Tom. Do they eat the squash plants? Wondering because I have a volunteer squash or pumpkin in my front flower beds. I've been feeding the male blossoms to my torts (no female blossoms have opened yet) and would feed them runners and shoots too, if squash plant is good food.

Yes. I think it was Yvonne or Maggie that told me. They can eat the whole plant. I feed leaves and blooms to the babies, plus they graze on whatever they can reach. I feed the actual squashes to my big sulcatas, and the tubes (leaf stems) get fed to the leopards, juveniles and adults.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Thats very cool. I cant wait to see how big these guys are at a year old. Thanks for the update. I also just love the squash plant, it creates so much shade and its edible as well. It may be the perfect plant for babies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Is there any differences with the sudan ones, compared to others? if so are the differences comsetic or genetic?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Nice comps between your hatchlings...and the Sudans. Those four near the top are humongous...mine aren't even 90g yet! I bet being housed next to the pool only adds to the humidity...nice job!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Seeing these beautiful babies makes me wish that I had room for more than one. Tom, they look fantastic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The boards are 2x12s, and the dirt is around 4" from the top. I think it would work just fine if it were shallower dirt, but with the screen tops, I'm not worried about the low walls.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Tom said:
The boards are 2x12s, and the dirt is around 4" from the top. I think it would work just fine if it were shallower dirt, but with the screen tops, I'm not worried about the low walls.

Ok thanks.

JensenEmpire

5 Year Member
Phoenix
Wow that is really cool those guys are huge! Tom what type of grass seed do you recommend? Anything I can find at a local store so I don't have to order?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All the grass seed I see in stores is coated with stuff or has funky additives in it. Its made for decorative lawns. I think you just need to break down and order some stuff that is specifically made and packaged for grazing animals. I really like the "Premium Pasture Mix" from Peaceful Valley Farms. Its mostly grass, which is perfect for our sulcatas. Click here:
http://www.groworganic.com/seeds/pasture-seed.html

This stuff is designed for seeding acres of horse and cattle pastures, so its relatively cheap. The premium stuff grows really fast and seems "better" than some of the other types.

My friend Tyler over at http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes also sells some good mixes. I've got some clover mix and some russian tortoise mix from him that are both sprouting and growing very well for me. Especially for young sulcatas, I like to offer more than just grass.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Like dmmj, are there any differences? Do they have that funky little dip in the back like some sulcatas do?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are not really any visible differences in the babies. None that I am noticing anyway. As they mature the Sudans will have a higher, rounder dome, without the slant in the back, and they will also be about twice the size of a "normal" one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You really can't. The don't sell to the public, and I'm pretty sure most of their babies get shipped out of the country every year.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Beautiful babies, Tom! Once again, you have outdone yourself! They are amazing! Are you going to breed them eventually? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.