My Sudan Sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
So how are these guys now in comparison to the wee "regular" ones? I need to do an update on our thread, mine are growing very nicely.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortadise said:
So how are these guys now in comparison to the wee "regular" ones? I need to do an update on our thread, mine are growing very nicely.

They are very similarly sized so far. They are all growing as smooth as can be, but the Sudans have an even smoother look to their scutes and growth rings than the mutts. For the first time in my tortoise raising career, I can honestly say, I don't see how they could be any smoother. I'll put up some profile pics soon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some updated pics of a few of them:
This is "Blondie". One of my favorite tortoises out of all of mine. 229 Grams.
345e8n4.jpg

This one is now up to 289 grams.
1znwkko.jpg

2ppa81c.jpg

This is my largest. I call him Gargantua. He's got a cool personality too. I'm going to guess he is a he, and he and I will be having a great relationship for many years. :D In this pic he's showing you his "Crazy Eye".
9izp88.jpg

Interestingly, these Sudans seem to be growing just a hair smoother than the regular sulcatas in the same enclosure with the exact same care, diet and conditions. You really can't see it in pictures, but Dean was here a couple days ago, and when you hold them in your hand and really look at them close up in profile, you can just barely see a difference. They also seem to be growing just a little bit faster than my "mutts". I find all these details interesting, and it does support the theory that there IS a genetic component to pyramiding, even within the same species.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Wow, those are just beautiful looking sulcatas, both in color and smoothness!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Tom, they are beautiful. Blondie looks perfectly smooth. I am really impressed with all of them. I have seen that crazy eye look when Chuck spots a pile of food.

morloch

5 Year Member
They are gorgeous !! When u say they grow larger,,, how much larger?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hey Tom, how much will these Sultans go for?

Tom said:
There are not really any visible differences in the babies. None that I am noticing anyway. As they mature the Sudans will have a higher, rounder dome, without the slant in the back, and they will also be about twice the size of a "normal" one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
morloch said:
They are gorgeous !! When u say they grow larger,,, how much larger?

250 pounds is not an unrealistic number. Some of the adults where they came from we're that size. My goal is to have them set up in their permanent enclosures by the time they are around 50 pounds, so that I never have to move them. :D

sibi said:
Hey Tom, how much will these Sultans go for?

I don't know. I haven't thought that far ahead. That is years away. They are only 5 months old.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Hey Tom, Your babies are growing so nicely. They are absolutely beautiful. You will have to keep posting pictures for us. I also find your theory of some of them being genetically prone to pyramiding to be interesting. I know others feel the same way and I kind of think that might be true also. I would love to find out more when you get more information on it. Again, beautiful sudan babies!:) :)

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I've been on a growing frenzy lately trying all sorts of different seeds and soo far my tort doesn't care for anything I put in his enclosure. Tell me more about the squash, what kind do yours tend to prefer?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jtrux said:
I've been on a growing frenzy lately trying all sorts of different seeds and soo far my tort doesn't care for anything I put in his enclosure. Tell me more about the squash, what kind do yours tend to prefer?

I go to great lengths to insure that my babies will eat anything I offer them. I don't think most breeders or keepers go to such great lengths. In their first few weeks my babies are fed everything under the sun. The result of this extra effort is that they eat just about anything anyone offers no matter where they end up. It is much harder to get a tortoise that has mainly been eating the same few things to try something new. I usually start with small quantities of the new stuff and finely chop it all up and mix it with the more familiar stuff. Sometimes it takes weeks of seeing, smelling and tasting a new food for them to get used to it. Be patient and let them get a little hungry too.

For squash, I use all sorts of them. Winter squash, summer squash, straight neck, crooked neck, cucumber, zuchini, pumpkin, acorn, etc... They like and eat the leaves, the blooms and occasionally the "fruits".

I don't know about you, but I have been learning a ton and having all sorts of fun growing new foods. I found a plant called African Hibiscus or "rosella". It occurs over there in their natural range and they go crazy for it. They like it better than Mazuri. I'll be starting a new thread on this one soon.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Hey Tom, Good tip about the African Hibiscus. My first thought was to go buy it but with the holidays, I think I will wait until Christmas is over. I can't wait to see your new thread about this plant for Sulcatas. Out of curiosity, where do you get yours? Is it local or online? They never have much here, so my choices are limited unless I go online. Great info and keep your updates coming!:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My friend from Senegal sent it to me. I've been planting it all over and doing little experiments to see what makes it grow best. You can probably find it online. I don't think it will last through the winter here, so I'll be starting from scratch next year more than likely.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
That is awesome! I did find it online for $17.95 plus shipping and handling at a couple of different online nurseries. Come January I think I will get one and see how it does. I can't wait until your thread so I can find out more. Thanks so much for all you do for us here on the forum.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.