my star tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
this is my star tortoise enclosure i have setup for my sri lankan star. hes about 4-5 months old. i have used a aquarium to have for my star setup. yes, i know people dislike them, but for now till hes about a year old or so im going to keep him in it then ill move him to a tortoise table or a xmas tree storage bin for him to live in. summers close and he will be outside most of his days to enjoy. well i thought id share what i do with my star hatchling, it seems to work well too. i use for a substrate is just moistened paper towels, not too wet since stars dislike damp conditions. i also have 2 temperature gauges in there to monitor his temperatures. his hot spot is around 90-100 degrees and im using a zoomed powersun 100 watt bulb. that light is on from 7am-5pm everyday. also, he has a 100 watt red heat bulb thats on all day, everyday. this setup works well for me, and my star seems to enjoy it. i soak him everyday for 20 minutes, then that follows feeding which he seems to scarf down. his food has a calcium dust i put on for him regularly. right now in my pictures he was eating some spring mix with some dandilions added from my yard. in his habitat i also have a log hide for him that he likes to hide in, and some fake plants he also enjoys. i also have a little water dish he drinks out of in the corner. well, i hope everyone enjoys my enclosure and tell me what everyone thinks!:D

051.jpg

049.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

052.jpg

050.jpg

048.jpg

045.jpg

044.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it works, then that's all that matters! Its so encouraging to read about a young star that isn't sick!!

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
im glad you guys like him! he eats soo much too. i always chop up a pile of food and he scarfs it down. i think keeping stars hydrated is key to keeping stars healthy and keeping a hotspot for him also. i keep a heat light on him 24/7. when its bed time for him its around 75-80 degrees. hes doing really good, ive only had him a month or so, but i check on him all day since i know stars are fragile. hes thriving and is extremly active. i will eventually change enclosures for him when he grows since aquariums having heating issues and cause problems. the breeder i got him from always stressed to soak him. IMO when there this young soaking is key and having a hot spot for him.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
What a cutie he is. The second to the last picture I notice he's in his "Superman Pose". :p :D

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
i reccomend to anyone getting a new star to keep there enclosure simple, warm and keep him hydrated! IMO, these are keep to keeping stars healthy.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I think that I recognize that tortoise! Nice set up she looks lonely? I can take care of that. LOL Douglas

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
haha id love another star eventually, but only if the price is right and such. drop me a line if you have any deals.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Joby.....nice setup.

I would provide a humid hide somewhere and (though it may not be an issue now)I would eventually get rid of the plastic plants or put the plastic plants out of reach from the star. I just wouldn't take a chance with a tortoise eating plastic plants. Perhaps you can cut a whole on the side of a tupperware and put that upside down for a humid hide....and if you want to keep the plastic plants....you could hot glue them on top of the tupperware so it is almost like the star is hiding under the plastic plants without getting a chance to nibble on it.

Just my thoughts....

Looks like it is doing great and you picked a very nice looking animal. Is this animal from Larry?

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
that sounds like a good idea, i was going to ask you about a humid hide. now should i use like a bedding such as eco earth or something else to create humidity? do you have any pics of your humid hide? i read in jerry fifes book what he does for his stars and i might copy his idea. oh and i bought him from larry, i picked him up in early march. i met him like 2 hrs away from my house. really great guy and extremley helpful. i do plan on buying more from him when i have some more money.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
jobeanator said:
that sounds like a good idea, i was going to ask you about a humid hide. now should i use like a bedding such as eco earth or something else to create humidity? do you have any pics of your humid hide? i read in jerry fifes book what he does for his stars and i might copy his idea. oh and i bought him from larry, i picked him up in early march. i met him like 2 hrs away from my house. really great guy and extremley helpful. i do plan on buying more from him when i have some more money.

I bought four from Larry this year, too. They are doing great. I will have to start another thread and post some pictures soon.

M

Maggie Cummings

Why don't you have a substrate for him? Wouldn't he like to frolic on some cypress mulch? He's just beautiful, I'm jealous, I'd trade Bob for him!!!:p

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I would LOVE a star some day. They are stunning!! Your little one is adorable and soo tiny!! What is his name?

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
haha i call him patrick star.. ironically from spongebob haha. but getting to the substrate question, i had considered a mulch but i was worried he might ingest it or try eating it and it could lead to issues, which i didnt want to happen. he seems to not mind the paper towels he walks on i mist them daily also so its not to dry for him too. id love a sulcata as big as bob!

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah thats what i will probably do here soon. he just uses like eco earth as a substrate right?

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
jobeanator said:
oh wow, id love to see post pictures soon!!

I added pictures to the new photo gallery of the first two I got from Larry.

Status
Not open for further replies.