My Spur-Thighed Tortoise has stopped eating

Shigysan

Hi,

I have an adult Ibrea (don't know the exact age, he has been in the family for 30yrs+), he woke up mid Febuary and looked healthy. He has been drinking water and eating food with no apparent issues for a few weeks. He spends his time under his lamp and inspecting his area and has regular soaks. He been regularly passing water and poop.

Over the last week, he has not been eating, I have managed to get him to eat small amounts of food on three days, but only a few bites, noting substantial. He has clear, bright eyes, no runny nose, no weird breathing. He does sleep for long periods of time, but otherwise is happy roaming around the room he occupies before going outside for summer. Should I be worried? Should I make an appointment to see a vet?

Please ask me question if you need more info. Any help would be appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The USUAL reason for a tortoise to not eat is because he's not warm enough. Do you have a light over him so he can warm up his inner core to above 80F?

Shigysan

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The USUAL reason for a tortoise to not eat is because he's not warm enough. Do you have a light over him so he can warm up his inner core to above 80F?

Yes, he has a light over him. He spends the morning under his light and unsually eat after that.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Offer him some of his favourite illicit treats and then when he opens his mouth pop something healthy in!
This worked with my little girl a couple of years ago when she stopped eating for some reason.
Or try and vary the diet. Tidgy gets bored after a few days of the same offerings, but then she is a spoiled brat!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Sounds like you're keeping him hydrated enough, I had that problem once.
I've never tried the "bait and switch" with treats and healthy food, when mine stopped eating for a while I went straight to tomatoes (his favorite) to see if he'd eat... na-dah and that's how I knew it was time for a vet.
Doesn't sound like yours is lethargic either just a little more sleepy. I wouldn't book a vet apt quite yet, see if he decides to eat.
Start any new foods lately? is he just being picky? once out of no-where mine decided he wanted romaine and only romaine and wouldn't eat anything else... it was a struggle to correct!