My snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
I have sold of most of my snake collection, but I have held onto to a few, mostly for nostalgic reason.

The first is my ball python, Jasper. I finally managed to convince my parents to let me keep a pet snake in 1993, and Jasper was my first. I still have him today. He was an adult when I acquired him, so I estimate his age to be around 20 years.
jasper4.jpg

The next is Perseus, an Aesculapian ratsnake. While not really endangered, this species is rather rare and obscure in America, as importing them from Europe is a hassle and not many hobbyists work with them in captivity. I was elated to find him for sale last year, as I've also wanted one (look up the mythology of Aesclapius). Now I'm on the hunt for a female to breed with him.
IMG_1060.jpg

This one is one of the first African house snakes I acquired back in 2008 when I was planning to breed them. While not really that spectacularly looking compared to some other herps, she is very docile. Although I keep her around for sentiment, I may end up giving her away to someone getting into the hobby, as she would be great as a beginner snake.
Cameron_2.jpg

The last photo (not exactly updated) is my little male albino Cape house snake, Kutner. Among other projects, I was planning to breed this morph, but I've decided to move on to other ventures. He still around.
albinoCape.jpg

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I believe the highest number I've had at one time was 27, which did include a handful of baby/juveniles. Now, in addition to the 4 pictured above, I have another 20-yr-old ball python a friend gave to me.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Grigor.Love. said:
Oh wow. Why did you decide to get rid of them?

A handful of reasons.

My firstborn was born in April, and we have another one on the way. I really needed the space, and it was getting time-consuming caring for over two dozen snakes. We actually needed some extra money at the time as well, and to be perfectly honest, I don't enjoy keeping them as much as I used to. (I actually enjoy caring for the tortoises more!).

The ones I plan on keeping forever are Jasper and Perseus, and the only snake I ever intend to acquire in the future is like I said, a female for Perseus...IF I can ever find one.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Gorgeous! I love the rat snake. I think I've heard of those in passing, but never seen a picture of one...

That is awesome that you've had your ball for almost 20 years! I hope I still have my first snake 20 years from now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.