My simple indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Hello!

Below is my enclosure and its details. I would like to receive any comments and suggestion regarding my setting, because I still have A LOT to learn from all of the forumers here :)

Overall picture;
wgx3ujgbxd.jpg

Tortoise sp.;
- Kleinmann's tortoise (Egyptian tortoise)
- Nearly 10 cm in size.

Size;
- 7.5ft. x 5 ft. x 0.5 ft.
- The side are either against the wall or attached with fence to avoid climbing (not a climber though).

Substrate;
- Almost 50-50 between Coco Coir (dry, to maintain low humidity) and another half is hay (He loveeee to digging a burrow to sleep inside).

Basking;
- Solar Glo 125W (inclusive UVA and UVB plus Heat) + Porcelain Clamp Reflector Large
- At least 12h per day, minimum.

Temperature & Humidity monitoring;
- Digital Combo Meter for Hygro & Thermo function
- 28 - 35 degree celcius in range for temperature.
- 30 - 50 range for humidity.

Soaking;
- Every next day for 30 minutes in lukewarm water.

Diet;
- 50-50 between greens and Mazuri.
- Occasionally sprout and flowers.

Supplements;
- 450g Calcium + D3 powder
- Multi- Vitamin powder

-------------------

So thats it. I would love some experts/senior opinion toward my current setting.

Bunch of thanks in advance! :D

bpham93

5 Year Member
It looks good, but i dont' see a basking spot? it probably could use a rock or something to bask on, temp should be 90-95. The bigger the better, especially for torts!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I know nothing about this species of tortoise so I can't comment on the enclosure.
But I would love to see pics of the tenant in there.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think you have a good set up....is that a mister laying in the water dish? if so, you may want to address the excess cord to assure it does not hang up on the tort....

Hay is not my fav, however, if your tort loves it them perhaps just make sure it does not soil and mold....

Do you have a top that you place on for security (no surprise escapes or other critters annoying your tort)

These are truly a special species....you have a great responsibility in hosting one....awesome for sure...we do love pics here....:p

Jd3

5 Year Member
That is 7.5 x 5 ft?

Perhaps the scale of the I age is off to me...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: My simple indoor enclosure

Jd3 said:
That is 7.5 x 5 ft?

I see what you mean now... 7.5' x 5'? Hmm. Maybe it was a typo.

Heather

Jd3

5 Year Member
*image not "I age"!

Op, not trying to be rude, was just seeing if I was missing something!

Just guessing by the contents and surroundings you must have had a typo jn the size!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I'm not seeing that size either...maybe 3x2

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Hi, I would like to know if you have real plants inside? If yes what kind and why did you picked them ? Does your specie tortoise eats them?
I'm new and I try to learn and get ideas.
I have sulcatas :0))
Thank you.
I hope ppl gives you feed back. Sorry I don't really know much.

My loves:
Husband
2 dogs Blue and Baxter
3 sulcatas Donatello, Penny, and Charlie.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
bpham93 said:
It looks good, but i dont' see a basking spot? it probably could use a rock or something to bask on, temp should be 90-95. The bigger the better, especially for torts!
Hello!

The basking spot is actually located on the lower, left side of the picture. Its an inverted ceramic dish where my tortoise will climb and stay there in the morning.

It is okay or I should get a better material for the basking spot?

Team Gomberg said:
I know nothing about this species of tortoise so I can't comment on the enclosure.
But I would love to see pics of the tenant in there.

Heather
The picture of tenant sleeping while I am cleaning his enclosure few days ago. Funny little fella :D

2h76b37fph.jpg

ascott said:
I think you have a good set up....is that a mister laying in the water dish? if so, you may want to address the excess cord to assure it does not hang up on the tort....
>That is actually a basking spot. I place some water inside his food plate and soak him separately in the bathroom.
>The mister is burying himself in the hay and can't be seen from the picture. Yeah, sorry about the cord, will rearrange that stuff for better look. My tortoise don't even bother the cord during basking
:D

Hay is not my fav, however, if your tort loves it them perhaps just make sure it does not soil and mold....
>Make sure doesn't soil and mold - noted!

Do you have a top that you place on for security (no surprise escapes or other critters annoying your tort)
>No I don't have the top. My room is quite personal and no outsider commonly come visit my tortoise. Not a climber as well and even if he able to get out, he is very familiar with my room as I sometimes let him escape while I am cleaning his enclosure.

These are truly a special species....you have a great responsibility in hosting one....awesome for sure...we do love pics here....:p
Thank you for your kind comments!

Jd3 said:
That is 7.5 x 5 ft?

Yes the is the dimension. Maybe the picture seems like small because I had to stand on chair to get a full view of the enclosure.
Here in on another perspective;
224cujv93l.jpg

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Going by the size of the bulb box sitting next to your enclosure it really doesn't look 7.5ft are you sure you measured in ft?
Anyhoo it's coming along nicely

Hybrid

5 Year Member
laney said:
Going by the size of the bulb box sitting next to your enclosure it really doesn't look 7.5ft are you sure you measured in ft?
Anyhoo it's coming along nicely

OMG, sorry! I converted the unit wrongly lol.

boabd6krvb.jpg

It should be 3ft x 2 ft.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Looks good for this species. One thing I would suggest is to put a water dish in their. Although they are desert and come from regions that are very hot and dry. I would still always offer water to them. Better safe than sorry. Looks pretty good though. He cant climb over those walls can he?

Hybrid

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Looks good for this species. One thing I would suggest is to put a water dish in their. Although they are desert and come from regions that are very hot and dry. I would still always offer water to them. Better safe than sorry. Looks pretty good though. He cant climb over those walls can he?

I am soaking him everyday or every other way without miss, but I will put water dish as you recommend as well.

He tried few times before but end up snuggling himself in the substrate. Lazy chap! :p

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
When he gets bigger he will deff get out of there. So I would watch out on that. The sides look a little to low. Believe it or not tortoises do LOVE to climb so you may think he can't climb out BUT there could be a great chance he could. Only think I'm worried about is if he does is he going to get hurt? Don't want to see anything happen to him because he was just being a cute tort. :)
Yes deff put a water dish in there. ALWAYS offer the tort water.
By the way he is a cutie. I LOVE how he is hiding in the pillows while you clean the enclosure. That is cute :)

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Nice enclosure. Gorgeous tort.
I would have more plants. Fake or real. I have some plastic ones that mine like to hide under. I can still see them well enough, but they feel safe under them.

Ann from CT

Status
Not open for further replies.