My Russians

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

URL=http://s868.photobucket.com/user/mo...Uploads/20140214_113256_zps928de420.jpg.html]
20140214_113256_zps928de420.jpg
[/URL]
URL=http://s868.photobucket.com/user/mo...Uploads/20140307_142513_zpsf27e9ff1.jpg.html]
20140307_142513_zpsf27e9ff1.jpg
[/URL]

I wanted to organized the pics according to age but im having technical difficulties. I have 2 hatchlings, 1 Juvenile, 1 very agressive spunky male, 2 huge females.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thank you, I might be adopting out the 2 hatchlings(fee applies). So if someone has been wanting to raise a baby russian. Let me know. I love this species:Hardy, robust, very personable...a little tank.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Walter! Long time no see. Where the heck ya been?

Its good to see that you're having success with breeding and hatching eggs with the Russians. Aren't those just the cutest little tortoise babies?

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Yvonne G said:
Hey, Walter! Long time no see. Where the heck ya been?

Its good to see that you're having success with breeding and hatching eggs with the Russians. Aren't those just the cutest little tortoise babies?

Hey Yvonne! I cant stay away..its been a while since I started a thread but I been checking in. I enjoy keeping up with the 2010 P.P. members; they are beautiful. I been focusing on the testudo family, easy to care for and full of personality.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Wartortle said:
Looks great! What do your females and male measure in at?

I'm not sure..I know one is way over 8 inches. The male is probably at 5.5-6 inches. But size means nothing..he is fearless. I'll be measuring soon;I'm curious myself.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Update: I finally got around to measuring the trio.
The first female pictured (Franny) measured in at 8 inches long 5 3/4 wide.
The second female (Cecilia) measured 7 1/2 inches long 5 1/2 wide.
Lastly the very feisty male (Pete) measuring in at a whopping 5 1/2 inches long 4 1/2 wide.

Measuring this trio was not easy; they are very aggressive right now (breeding season). My male is extremely aggressive towards the females;he is relentless. Should segregate him for periods? He is so aggressive that if I get near when he is mounting a female,he will literally charge towards me; like an angry bull. They have free range of a fairly large secure backyard; space is not an issue. I get concerned the male will stress out the females. Also are certain subspecies of Russians herbivores and others omnivores? Cecilia loves live superworms and the other 2 won't bother with them. I use to feed Cecilia worms before discovering this forum. I picked up a dozen worms today after years of not feeding it to her. To my suprise she massacred those worms.