my russian wont eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayden123

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
braham mn
russian tortoise wont eat?

hi im new to everything. and i got my russian tort about a couple months ago. he was doin fine, perfect actually. but then i moved to my parents just a couple weeks ago. he was doin ok at first in his own room but then my parents cat pooped in his cage. i cleaned out the poop and moved him to a different room with a door and hes hasnt eatin in a few days. i live in minnesota so he could be goin into hibernation but im not sure. im scared i dont want anything to happen to my poor lil sheldon!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: russian tortoise wont eat?

Hi and welcome! I could see, it may be stress from constant moving. It could be a change in the amount of light, length of lighting, and change of temperatures. Do you have his private lights and temperature maintaining the same amounts and level? Otherwise, it may be the change from outside factors. Plus as stated he may be "thinking"/being stimulated into going into hibernation/brumation mode.

jayden123

5 Year Member
braham mn
hi im new to everything. so i got my russian sheldon a couple months ago he was doin great adjusting to my lil apartment. perfect actually. but i recently move into my parents. and he was doin ok . but then my parents stupid cat pooped in his cage. i cleaned out the poop and moved him to a different room with a door. and now he hasnt been eating for a few days now. i live in minnesota and the days are getting cold. so he could be goin into hibernation but im not sure. im scared and dont want anything to happen to him and cant really afford right now to bring him to the vet. please help!! his eyes are fine and not sneezing or sloggish and whenever i get close to him he like hisses at me like he scared or something.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Your tortoise is not going into hibernation indoors because of the outdoor weather unless the temperature and lighting are similar in both locations. From the description of events in your post your tortoise has been moved around frequently as lately. Tortoises are creatures of routine. Part of what establishes their routine is familiarity in their environment. Constant and/or frequent change can bring about a change in their routine too. He hisses because he sees movement that he is not accustomed to or unsure of. It could be direct or it could be a shadow cast over him suddenly. The hissing noise is him rapidly pulling his apendages in while expelling air. It is normal.

What are the current temperatures (day, night, basking) in your tortoises enclosure? How long during the day are the lights on and what type of lighting are you using. Does your tortoise have a dark hide to retreat to? What are you offering him for food.

jayden123

5 Year Member
braham mn
ok, thank you. on one side of the cage is about 80-95d and the other side is about 70d i have a uvb and a heat lamp i have them on all day and shut them off at night. he has a half log to hide in, a water dish big enough to sit in and a food dish. i feed him romane lettuce spinach, broccile, he loves his broccile.. and the thing is when i had him at my old house he was perfect i did have a routine when i was at my own place but lately iv been so busy living with my parents i some times forget to shut off his lamps.

jayden123

5 Year Member
braham mn

some times i do forget to shut off his lamps. i have them on all day from the time i wake up around 10am to about 10pm when i go to sleep but i have been forgetting. he is in his own room. the room its self is about 70-75d but in his cage on one side its about 85-90d and the other about 70d and he has a half log to hide in a water dish to drink and sit in and a food dish. im thinkin it might be from the constant moving. cause before i moved to my parents i had the same routine with him sense i got him and now its totally different. :( poor guy. and it didnt help with my parents dumb cat trying to play with him and pooped in his cage once. thats why i had to move him again to his own room.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get a timer for your lights so the routine will be the same. A better more variety of a diet is needed also. I'm not real familiar with Russians, but spinach for other torts is not really recommended.

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL

Hello and welcome! hope he feels better soon!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
jayden123 said:
ok, thank you. on one side of the cage is about 80-95d and the other side is about 70d i have a uvb and a heat lamp i have them on all day and shut them off at night. he has a half log to hide in, a water dish big enough to sit in and a food dish. i feed him romane lettuce spinach, broccile, he loves his broccile.. and the thing is when i had him at my old house he was perfect i did have a routine when i was at my own place but lately iv been so busy living with my parents i some times forget to shut off his lamps.

You may want to expand on his diet choices. In order to obtain a good balance of fiber, calcium and other vitamins and minerals tortoises need to be fed a good quality varied diet in captivity.
Some things that it can include are weeds like dandelions, chicory, broad & narrow leaf plantain, sow thistle, lambsquarter, mallow, crown vetch, alfalfa and more. Grocery store greens can be things like endive, escarole, romaine, dandelion greens, chicory greens, mustard greens, beet greens, collard greens, carrot tops, kale, arugula, spinach and more. Most lettuces contain little nutrional value compared to most of the above but can be fed occasionally too. Vegetables for Russian tortoise only need to be about 15% of their diet and can include pumpkin, squash, sweet potato, green & yellow beans, peas and occasionally some other veggies.

Spinach is very high in nutrional value and should not be overlooked for any tortoises diet.

Broccoli does have nutrional value, is high in fiber content (the basis of a tortoise's diet) and other vitamins but does have a poor calcium to phosphorus ratio. It can be fed occasionally but should not be part of a tortoises regular diet.

jayden123

5 Year Member
braham mn

thanks everyone. im really enjoying this website!! lots of help and support. sheldon is actually feeling better i seen that he ate all his food last night. so im thinkin is was just the constant moving. ill keep you all posted. thanks again!! :)

jayden123

5 Year Member
braham mn
GBtortoises said:
jayden123 said:

You may want to expand on his diet choices. In order to obtain a good balance of fiber, calcium and other vitamins and minerals tortoises need to be fed a good quality varied diet in captivity.
Some things that it can include are weeds like dandelions, chicory, broad & narrow leaf plantain, sow thistle, lambsquarter, mallow, crown vetch, alfalfa and more. Grocery store greens can be things like endive, escarole, romaine, dandelion greens, chicory greens, mustard greens, beet greens, collard greens, carrot tops, kale, arugula, spinach and more. Most lettuces contain little nutrional value compared to most of the above but can be fed occasionally too. Vegetables for Russian tortoise only need to be about 15% of their diet and can include pumpkin, squash, sweet potato, green & yellow beans, peas and occasionally some other veggies.

Spinach is very high in nutrional value and should not be overlooked for any tortoises diet.

Broccoli does have nutrional value, is high in fiber content (the basis of a tortoise's diet) and other vitamins but does have a poor calcium to phosphorus ratio. It can be fed occasionally but should not be part of a tortoises regular diet.

ok thank you. i think i got some shopping to do this weekend :)

jayden123

5 Year Member
braham mn
thank you everyone!! i think sheldon is feeling better i seen that he ate all his food last night. so im maybe thinkin it was from the constant moving. but ill keep you all posted. really enjoying this website!! lots of help and support!! thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.