My Russian turtle won't eat

Tkutchera

Location (City and/or State)
WI
It's been a few days of not eating, we do soak him every other day. We feed him Kale. Too many forums to scroll through to find one similar to this problem.

Hand feeding won't work, he just turns away and goes to burrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20190612_191546851.jpg
    IMG_20190612_191546851.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22

Changa

Ca
It's been a few days of not eating, we do soak him every other day. We feed him Kale. Too many forums to scroll through to find one similar to this problem.

Hey there I'm new too (7mos)
Tap on Tortoise species,scroll to Russian tortoise .Yvonne G has a section " Why does my RT bury itself"
This may help.

Tkutchera

WI
I have a wide open table like area for him, I can't check the temperature nor can I leave the lamp on for 14 hours.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well I was going to ask what your temps are? They are the usual suspects.

Tkutchera

WI
We live in a bi-level home, it's an energy efficient home so upstairs thermostat reads anywhere from 75-80 degrees.

drew54

Indiana
Its most likely to cold. You really need to check the temps at tort level to make sure they are optimal. They need a core temp of 85 degrees in order to digest food and be active.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We live in a bi-level home, it's an energy efficient home so upstairs thermostat reads anywhere from 75-80 degrees.
A tortoise can't live comfortably in YOUR ambient temperature. He needs the temperature to be suitable in HIS enclosure. If you are expecting the tortoise to be able to reach the correct inner core temperature just living in a room that is "energy efficient and 75-80 degrees, you are sadly mistaken. He needs a light/heat source that he can sit under in order to bring up his inner core temperature to about 85F degrees. Otherwise his food won't digest and so he won't eat.

Tkutchera

WI
Don't get me wrong he does have a heat lamp and a UVB light. We turn on in the a.m. and turn off at about 9 pm

drew54

Indiana
You have an open top where the air circulates. Humans are warm blooded reptiles are cold blooded meaning they can't regulate their temps like we can. At tort level it's a colder to them than to us especially in an open top.

Tkutchera

WI
it's not a tank it's more of like a tabletop. Anyway, he is eating now I changed his food thank you all for your advice. Picture is attached.

IMG_20190613_115901347.jpg

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
A bit of a warning. The sides are not tall enough on that enclosure, russian torts can and will climb. He can get right out with those walls. It would be ashamed for him to crawl out and fall and get hurt.

Tkutchera

WI
He cannot climb out, it is hard plastic and he slides. My friend has had this enclosure for years with no escaping turtles.

plantationtort

Lupton
He cannot climb out, it is hard plastic and he slides. My friend has had this enclosure for years with no escaping turtles.
First, that is a tortoise not a turtle, and yes he will be able to climb out of that enclosure resulting in a broken or cracked shell, he needs an enclosure at least 20 inches high, temp in the enclosure should be consistant

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Please at least cap the corners. For everyones peace of mind

Bigred1974

Manchester England
Hey there I'm new too (7mos)
Tap on Tortoise species,scroll to Russian tortoise .Yvonne G has a section " Why does my RT bury itself"
This may help.
Hi there - I had a similar problem until I increased my Russians temperature and also changed it’s substrate. She still buries herself as likes to do this but it’s not all day and I noticed that her shell is much warmer these last few days then before. Good luck. Oh and mine LOVES buttercups and rose leaves! I’ve just bought some basil for her to try . It’s hot and miss sometimes but give it a try

Cindy63

Staten Island
Believe me, he CAN climb out. He just hasn't taken the notion yet. All they need is to be able to get their toenails over the top edge and it matters not how slippery the sides are.
I'm sorry but I agree with Yvonne G he WILL get out. And from it looks like he'll fall far and seriously get hurt