My Russian tortoise shell and legs !

aimeeo54

Hello I've had my Russian tortoise Gary for a month now and still getting used to everything. I've noticed when he walks his back legs don't looked right. He can move them fine and pull them into his body, but when he's walking it doesn't look like he's holding his weight correctly. Also his shell is looking a bit fanned at the bottom. Is this normal growth or should I add something to his diet to help?
I've also just started using a calcium supplement on his food twice a week.
His food consists of weeds, leaves, grass, certain lettuces, dandelions and pellet food.
Here some images and I'll look forward to your advice !
Thanks Aimee xxx

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392320115.735195.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1392320149.167029.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392320215.790874.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutva

5 Year Member
Is the back of the shell rested on the ground when he walks and the front off the ground so it is diagonal?

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
Is there a way you could video your concern. Or have you watched a video on how they walk to compare. He is cute. I love the picture with the dandelion.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are you using for UV and does he get sunshine? Where are you?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: My Russian tortoise shell and legs !

bigsteaks said:
You may have a female tortoise. Some better pictures might tell us.

That was irrelevant. Female and male tortoise walk the same way unless she is carrying eggs.

aimeeo54

He does walk diagonal but his shell is off the floor when he walks. But his legs seem to slip from under him off the hard wood flooring.
Using a uv bulb but don't know what watt it is, I'm in England so it's to cold and wet for him to be outside at the minute. He's only a year old.
I'll try and get a video of him walking.
When he had a poo the other day he was pushing him self up on his back legs so they do have some power.
Just thought they looked a bit thin compared to his front legs.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1392486599.962748.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises have a hard time getting traction on bare floors. Also, your sand in the habitat should be changed out to something else. Sand, when stuck to the food and ingested, causes impaction. This MIGHT be a problem with the back legs, but I'm thinking its just the slippery floor. Its terrible bad on the baby tortoise's hips to have the legs keep slipping out from under him.

aimeeo54

I think it is the hard wood flooring because he walks fine on the carpet. Going to change the sand to top soil as soon as I get a chance!
Thanks for all the help guys x

kezilulu

I have a Russian called Sheldon and I'm in England too, hope you're not down South with the floods?!
My little guy has a little trouble in his bath as it's plastic (I use a cat litter bowl) so I definitely reckon it's the slippy flooring!
xXx