My Russian tortoise is eating the coconut bulk substrate

JayC96

Location (City and/or State)
CASTRO VALLEY
I've had him for over a year and I realized he has not been very active recently and today I saw him ate a whole block of coconut chip. I'm using the Reptichip Premium Coconut Substrate brand. I always feed him enough because there are always left over food for me to clean. Is it going to hurt his health? I just replaced the substrate to Zoo Med Eco Earth Loose Coconut Fiber.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've had him for over a year and I realized he has not been very active recently and today I saw him ate a whole block of coconut chip. I'm using the Reptichip Premium Coconut Substrate brand. I always feed him enough because there are always left over food for me to clean. Is it going to hurt his health? I just replaced the substrate to Zoo Med Eco Earth Loose Coconut Fiber.
Do you use a red, infrared, colored, or cfl type bulb?

Are you feeding grocery store greens and fruit?

JayC96

CASTRO VALLEY
Do you use a red, infrared, colored, or cfl type bulb?

Are you feeding grocery store greens and fruit?
I am using the Evergreen 100W UVA bulb, it's not colored. And yes I'm feeding grocery store. I'm more concerned about his health atm, is he going to be okay?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am using the Evergreen 100W UVA bulb, it's not colored. And yes I'm feeding grocery store. I'm more concerned about his health atm, is he going to be okay?
Grocery store greens alone do not meet their nutritional needs. You need to either feed better foods, or amend the grocery store greens with something better. One of the reasons tortoises will eat inappropriate things is a low fiber diet of grocery store greens.

Check this out:

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
I think Tom pointed out the grocery food because it might be related to him eating the substrate. It could be caused because he is not getting enough nutrition in his diet.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

What specifically are you feeding your tortoise?

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Grocery store greens alone do not meet their nutritional needs. You need to either feed better foods, or amend the grocery store greens with something better. One of the reasons tortoises will eat inappropriate things is a low fiber diet of grocery store greens.

Check this out:
Opps, sorry just repeated what you said ?.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
I suggest switching to reptibark. I use it for my Russian tortoise and he never swallows it because the pieces are too big. If he/she accidentally gets a piece or two on their food bowl, u can easily spot it and remove it. I found coconut fiber get everywhere and is easy to cause impaction. Hope this helps :)