My Russian Tortoise Has Not Eaten

CyrustheRussian

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
Hello all! I received my Russian tortoise nearly two months ago now and he is still not eating. I have seen him nibble on his food a couple times but that is all. The temps are fine (basking spot around 96 degrees, ambient temperatures around the 80s). And the rest of my husbandry is fine according to my knowledge and the advice I’ve received here. I’ve been soaking him regularly in warm water. I’ve tried a wide variety of foods fit for this species but he’s hardly ever touched any of it. I’ve heard of the baby food soak- is that something I should start doing regularly? I haven’t tried it yet. Any suggestions?
How long will he actually survive like this? :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello all! I received my Russian tortoise nearly two months ago now and he is still not eating. I have seen him nibble on his food a couple times but that is all. The temps are fine (basking spot around 96 degrees, ambient temperatures around the 80s). And the rest of my husbandry is fine according to my knowledge and the advice I’ve received here. I’ve been soaking him regularly in warm water. I’ve tried a wide variety of foods fit for this species but he’s hardly ever touched any of it. I’ve heard of the baby food soak- is that something I should start doing regularly? I haven’t tried it yet. Any suggestions?
How long will he actually survive like this? :(
Where did you get him?

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Ok Ill tell you some things I have done to get a tortoise to eat.

Use a single cherry tomato to lure him to the food dish, make sure there is also some other fresh lettuce like kale and romaine, those are the three things one of my picky tortoises will always go for when he is not eating.

Take the tortoise outside for a bit, they seem to wake up and get really active right when you bring them out, when you put him back he might be ready to eat.

Feed a cherry tomato and lettuce right after a soak.

I have had tortoises that wouldn’t eat for three reasons
1. Illness- had to take him to the vet and administer medication for 2 weeks.

2. The tortoise was going into hibernation mode indoors in October.

3. I had one in a cage that was too small and he was depressed or something. Hardly ever moved and hardly ate. New enclosure made him active and hungry.