My Russian Chases My Cat...

Citra

Location (City and/or State)
Aliso Viejo
My Russian George is almost five years old. He has full access to our home which is a carriage style condo with all of our living space on the second floor. His habitat is located on our patio and a couple years ago he learned how to use the doggy door (hence full access). About two years ago we added a beautiful calico kitten Shiva to our family; which besides George we also have three small, senior dogs. As soon as George noticed Shiva it was love at first site... He chases her all around the house, outside, inside, you name it. I don't know anyone else how has a tortoise so I don't know if this is normal behaviour or if I just have a strange one. Is there anyone else who's tortoise chases their other pets?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is not going to be what you want to hear, but you are headed for a disaster in one of many possible ways.

Tortoises should never be loose on the floor. Dogs and tortoises should not have access to each other ether. I already know you will argue and tell me how much you supervise and how the dogs would never do anything and you've made the floor safe, but one way or another you will find out your were wrong.

You have a choice. Heed the words of someone who has been where you are and seen a few things over a few decades of tortoise keeping, or carry on as you have been and learn the hard way at your tortoises expense.

We see tortoises get sick, injured or killed over and over again in so many ways because people do what you are doing. Put your tortoise in a large enclosure that the dogs and cat can't get into before its too late.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
My Russian George is almost five years old. He has full access to our home which is a carriage style condo with all of our living space on the second floor. His habitat is located on our patio and a couple years ago he learned how to use the doggy door (hence full access). About two years ago we added a beautiful calico kitten Shiva to our family; which besides George we also have three small, senior dogs. As soon as George noticed Shiva it was love at first site... He chases her all around the house, outside, inside, you name it. I don't know anyone else how has a tortoise so I don't know if this is normal behaviour or if I just have a strange one. Is there anyone else who's tortoise chases their other pets?
As a cat owner, having had two who love(d) playing, I would say that as your cat matures ( assuming it was kittenish when you got it), it will grow into its hunting instincts. One of my cats enjoyed being outdoors in good weather & brought home snakes, mice, bats, birds, to show us. I once watched it "play" with a mouse before it killed it. They don't even need claws to do this.

I don't have a tort yet. I have an indoor "playful" cat & a 24 lb. blob cat. Either one of them could instantly blind a tort or slice their neck or legs off with a swat of the paw or drop kick them 3+ feet in the air.

It may be your tort "loves" your cat. It might be your tort finds the cat is invading it's territory & that's why it's continually chasing the cat. It's just a matter of time before your cat gets playful at best or gets annoyed or angry at worst.

Wishing you good luck with your situation.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
George isn’t playing with your cat; he sees him as competition for food or space and is attempting to bully him away. Tortoises don’t have friends; in the wild meeting Russians meeting up is rare, when they do they either mate or fight, that’s it. Russians in particular are the worst at bullying because they live where food is scarce and the harsh weather keeps them underground much of the year. They’ve got to eat enough to hibernate and to successfully lay eggs in just a few months; they will fight anything they see. I posted this elsewhere today but my Russian literally came out of hibernation this morning and was up knocking things around and eating within hours; it’s just how she’s built.

Reptiles aren’t like mammals; we can’t, or shouldn’t, interpret their behaviors as we do mammals. Why George doesn’t treat your dogs in the same way is perhaps because they are bigger than a cat, so he can’t win that fight, or because they are old and slow enough he doesn’t perceive them as threats anymore. My cats know better than to even approach my outdoor Russian; they jump out of her way when she walks by.

All the other stuff about not leaving your tortoise in your house or around dogs is correct. I know it’s hard to hear but experienced owners don’t like to read about tortoises being left in dangerous situations. No experienced owner here will tell you anything different.

Sassylou

Manchaca
My sulcata chases my chickens hoping for a girlfriend. Luckily, he's never caught one! LOL He's a big guy and would squash 'em. :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There are so many sad stories here from people who have lost torts to dog attacks.
Every one of them thought their lovely trusted dogs wouldn't hurt their tort, but it only takes your tort suddenly spooking your dogs, or for one of them to think they can play back and treat your tort as a chew toy, for catastrophe to strike.
Cats also can can damage tort eyes if they lash out with claws.
As well as all the other floor hazards you are exposing your tort to, you especially need to be careful of your tort going in and out of doors. There have been accidents with torts getting heads crushed. A sudden gust of wind at the wrong time or someone opening/closing the door not realising your tort is near could be fatal.
So please follow the above advice for correct care.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My sulcata chases my chickens hoping for a girlfriend. Luckily, he's never caught one! LOL He's a big guy and would squash 'em. :)
He's probably trying to get them out of his space. Torts don't like company.

Max2

Alvin texas
My redfoot loves my dog and my dog adores him. They cuddle in the sun and really enjoy each other.20210226_180536.jpg

Citra

Aliso Viejo
This is not going to be what you want to hear, but you are headed for a disaster in one of many possible ways.

Tortoises should never be loose on the floor. Dogs and tortoises should not have access to each other ether. I already know you will argue and tell me how much you supervise and how the dogs would never do anything and you've made the floor safe, but one way or another you will find out your were wrong.

You have a choice. Heed the words of someone who has been where you are and seen a few things over a few decades of tortoise keeping, or carry on as you have been and learn the hard way at your tortoises expense.

We see tortoises get sick, injured or killed over and over again in so many ways because people do what you are doing. Put your tortoise in a large enclosure that the dogs and cat can't get into before its too late.

I appreciate your concern about my tortoises well-being but you have nothing to worry about. My dogs all three combined weigh less than 40 pounds. The youngest dog is 12. George even comes and lays with the dogs and sleep. I do have a safe enclosure that I can and do pen him in when needed.