My RT is a chunker!

Clueless Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
More myth than reality. The tortoises can get several rings one year and only one another year. It depends upon their condition and the circumstances in which they are living.

Here is a photo of three Radiated Tortoises. I hatched all of them so know that they are 1, 2, and 3 years old. If you tried to count the rings, they would all seem a lot older than they really are, because they were raised in ideal conditions. Note that the shells are all in perfect condition as well.

View attachment 309831
Wow. Ur torts are stunning! What should I continue to do now that I have an estimate and some knowledge about my little guy? I want to do all the right things, and give him the best life that he could possibly have.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Don’t feel dumb; tortoise information is generally horrible, most of us made similar mistakes.

Bumpy growth and dings suggest your tortoise is wild caught. He spent a lot of time bouncing off rocks in his native territory and probably didn’t have the same amount of food to eat every year. The newer growth is smooth and looks a bit waxy—more like what we see in a captive bred tortoise because they’ve never gone without food. So I think you’ve just got a good eater there, maybe having an extra good year. Don’t worry about any chips or dings that are worn; it’s old damage that doesn’t hurt the tortoise.

You’ll get more accurate measurements with a straight (wood or plastic) ruler, like this: https://tortoisegroup.org/measuring-tortoise-size/. I’m afraid he doesn’t look terribly big to me but I’ve got a girl who’s three times his weight, lol.

Your tortoise could be ten years old or thirty, size is not relevant to age.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Don’t feel dumb; tortoise information is generally horrible, most of us made similar mistakes.

Bumpy growth and dings suggest your tortoise is wild caught. He spent a lot of time bouncing off rocks in his native territory and probably didn’t have the same amount of food to eat every year. The newer growth is smooth and looks a bit waxy—more like what we see in a captive bred tortoise because they’ve never gone without food. So I think you’ve just got a good eater there, maybe having an extra good year. Don’t worry about any chips or dings that are worn; it’s old damage that doesn’t hurt the tortoise.

You’ll get more accurate measurements with a straight (wood or plastic) ruler, like this: https://tortoisegroup.org/measuring-tortoise-size/. I’m afraid he doesn’t look terribly big to me but I’ve got a girl who’s three times his weight, lol.

Your tortoise could be ten years old or thirty, size is not relevant to age.
Okay good to know. the whole reason why I posted that my tort was big was because he was said to be 6 years old, but is the size of a (small ) full grown adult. If you could give me a rough estimate, what would you think his age would be?

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
If you guys could give me an estimate of his age that would be great. I know its super hard to tell but its worth a try.

Weight: 425 grams
SCL: 4.75 inches
Date I got him: 8/1/2014
Most likely wild caught ?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Okay good to know. the whole reason why I posted that my tort was big was because he was said to be 6 years old, but is the size of a (small ) full grown adult. If you could give me a rough estimate, what would you think his age would be?
As I said, he could be ten or he could be thirty. If I were you I’d be more worried about whether he might outlive you, he’s got decades and decades to go! Pretty sure mine will so I have to be thinking about her next home.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
To see more accurate growth sizes get a pencil and paper. Sit the tort on the paper and trace around the shell and date & weight if you do. once you have done this once every two months for 6 months then you should have a clear visual of the growth-just hold the sheets up to a light and compare

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
As I said, he could be ten or he could be thirty. If I were you I’d be more worried about whether he might outlive you, he’s got decades and decades to go! Pretty sure mine will so I have to be thinking about her next home.
Very true! Im still going to take care of him and do everything I can to make sure he has a happy and healthy life. Thank you guys so much for ur help!