My RF Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Here is my little RFs enclosure.... Seems to be great after a few changes here and there.... If anyone has any ideas of making it better or somthing im doing wrong let me know:)

IMAG0010.jpg
The whole enclosure

IMAG0012.jpg
Here is his hide, and i keep that bowl of water with a sponge in there to help keep the humidity up.

IMAG0013.jpg
There's Huckleberry cuising around.

IMAG0014.jpg
And there is his soak area its a coffee lid.

IMAG0011.jpg
And this is the little switch i wired up to adjust the ceramic heat emitter.

Thanks for looking:D

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Thanks the more simple the easier it is too keep is what i was going for

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
Is that top part for humidity? is that common to have a "lid" covering most of the opening?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The top is to keep more humidity in the enclosure Dutton. Most Redfoot enclosures could use a partial top to keep the humidity up, especially when a Redfoot is young.
Everything looks great Josh. :)

Danny

chadk

10 Year Member!
Is that a compact Fluorescent UVB bulb? I'm new to torts, but for other reptiles, I think those are frowned upon and can be dangerous. Are they common with torts?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, you are correct. When the compact bulbs first came out they caused bad eye problems. Hopefully that has been addressed and the new bulbs are ok, however, you don't know if you're buying a new one or one that's been on the shelf for a while. I would err on the safe side and just plain old don't use the compact bulb.

Yvonne

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
I hardly ever turn the light on. I mainly let the ambient light from the window and fixtures do the work, since he gets his d3 from the diet i feed him.... But I've read that sometimes they are to bright and hurt the torts eyes but i try to keep it high enough to spread the light out evenly and to keep the bulb itself out of his line of sight.... I think i would compare the problems with them to staring at the sun for a extended amount of time... Thanks Danny :D means ALOT

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Its just damp cypress mulch... I was using some moss with it bet I kept having mold problems and the moss would get in his eyes... but so far the plain mulch has worked out standing and its cheap. :D

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
What kind of moss were you using? I use Mosser Lee sphagnum moss in the hides and never have had a mold problem. I do use cypress mulch though in the rest of the enclosure.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
It was sphagnum moss, I forget the brand name it wasnt Lee though, I think I also had a ventalation problem. So the moss might had have nothing to do with it, or i guess the brand might have been to blame. It and the lid of the enclosure were the only thing i changed though and it hasnt came back. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.