My Redfoot will only eat these!!

Jyo

I'm not sure if these are mazuri pellets or just pet store tortoise food, but that's the ONLY thing Mango will eat. I've tried everything under the sun. All kinds of produce, weeds, succulents, grasses, fruits etc.
Mango will eat a bite or two of banana, strawberry, or soft carrots but that's it. When purse lane is in season, it will only sometimes get eaten.
He/she seems uninterested in in any bother food but will devour that softened pellet like he/she is starving.
Are these pellets bad for them?
Any suggestions for me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 30

Jyo

I should probably add I was given these in a ziplock bag by the exotic pet store I bought my torti from. That's why I'm unsure of what it is exactly.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Yeah that looks like mazuri. As everyone says its like Tortoise crack! So you need to mix food like healthy greens in his mazuri small. Then slowly add more greens and way less mazuri. Many people feed mazuri 2 or 3 times a week but your tort needs variety. Apprently if I'm not mistaken there is glucose in the mazuri so too much of anything is not good nor healthy. I have had the same issue with mazuri. My torts ate pretty much everything & then I introduced them to mazuri the tortoise crack food!!! And they would not eat anything but the pellets or bananas. So I talked to others on the forum and they said to mix in foods like noted above and when you start offering straight up greens...tough love. Your tort may not eat for days but hunger will arise and he will eat whatevers on his dish. By the way let's see your tort :)

dsgncore

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Hello there

I also own a baby RF (loki), i have him for about 3 months now. I also have the same problem lately, loki only eats mazuri, he'll nibble one or two bites of leaves, fruits, veggies and that's it. And this started since 2 weeks ago, glad i found this article cause i'm a bit worry.

drew54

Indiana
My sulcata hatchling was fed only mazuri and romaine. The first day I had her in her new home I introduced grasses, weeds, and store bought greens. I mixed it up salad style and left it in her dish. By mid day she had eaten a small amount. I did this for three days without putting mazuri in her food and now she eats everything but dill lol. Like zero said they won't starve themselves and they will eat if they are hungry.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I wonder is there’s a forum for torts on how to train their owners to feed them what they want? Most owners cave just to watch their torts eat. Tortoises in the wild are grazers/browsers and feed all day. They will become hungry enough after a while to learn your routine of sit down meals.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
When I was little I only wanted to eat candy bars, potato chips and soda.

My mom didn’t buy it and I didn’t have any money or transportation. Neither does your tortoise. :)

Eventually he’ll do what I did and eat the stuff in front of me. Most of it anyway.

drew54

Indiana
Essentially, you don't give them a choice. Just put it in there and eventually they will eat it. That may not be how many people would recommend doing it, but that's how I had to get my tort eating other things besides mazuri and romaine.

dsgncore

Jakarta
Well today i'm gonna try to feed loki only greens and fruits, let's see who wins lol. Btw loki does not explore in his enclosure, and i have to move him everytime i want to feed him. He will eat , then he will go back to his hiding spot but if i move him again to his feeding dish, he'll start eating again. It's like he forgets that the food is there. Is this normal for a baby rf?