My redfoot prefers cooler temps, is that weird?

ElvisTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I've got a 3 yr RF who continually heads to cooler, 50-60F options when they're available. Today's a great example, it's 52F here in Texas, his enclosure is 85F and he's outside hunkered in the grass in the cold weather.
Has anyone else experienced this?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've got a 3 yr RF who continually heads to cooler, 50-60F options when they're available. Today's a great example, it's 52F here in Texas, his enclosure is 85F and he's outside hunkered in the grass in the cold weather.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes.
But they can't digest food at those lower temperatures and long term exposure to those cooler temperatures are a recipe for health issues.
It gets into the 50s here at night. But then warms back up to 80ish during the day. (In the winter)
I almost always have to find all of my RF and place them into their heated night houses.
They almost always want to sleep under the bushes in the cold

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I see all of my torts explore a range of different temperature zones during the day, which makes me glad their enclosures offer them the options.

The surprise for me has been seeing both my RF and my MEP seek out more basking time than reading here and other places on the WWW would have suggested... my redfoot finds more UV/light and the MEP goes for the heat; both of them to greater degrees than I would have guessed.

Jamie

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
One of the considerations in viewing many enclosures where folks have posted pictures, is that the tortoise is actually looking for cover and a secure hide. Often the "hot side" is rather barren. Outside this can be a real problem as the tortoise seeks plant cover or a corner where it feels more secure and ends up too cold. Its not seeking cold, its seeking a nice secure place to rest. Where they come from they are "programmed" to seek out these places because there the temperature is normally fairly ideal with ground temps in the mid 70°s to low 80°s. So a nice secure place to rest is always close to ideal temperature.

ElvisTheTortoise

Texas
One of the considerations in viewing many enclosures where folks have posted pictures, is that the tortoise is actually looking for cover and a secure hide. Often the "hot side" is rather barren. Outside this can be a real problem as the tortoise seeks plant cover or a corner where it feels more secure and ends up too cold. Its not seeking cold, its seeking a nice secure place to rest. Where they come from they are "programmed" to seek out these places because there the temperature is normally fairly ideal with ground temps in the mid 70°s to low 80°s. So a nice secure place to rest is always close to ideal temperature.

Thank you for the input on the natural behavior (seeking a place to rest vs cool place) - that makes a lot of sense. When I put him back in the heated enclosure he rarely leaves it, particularly overnight.

The heated enclosure is a snug, fully enclosed box, with a heat lamp and plenty of substrate/leaves/dry grass/etc, so he should feel safe. It's at ~70F during the night and ~90F during the day. It's just strange to see him come out during cold days and prefer lounging in 50F degree weather.

Will certainly take the advice on placing him the enclosure in cold weather at night.

Much appreciated to everyone who responded!

-Erik

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
This is an interesting thread because I have been thinking about temp gradients. I have always (over 22 years) provided one for my redfoot and was surprised to see, when I joined here, that a gradient is not recommended here for this species. This confuses me, as in the wild, gradients exist. Yes, South America is generally warm, with much narrower of a gradient than in Afghanistan or the Med. But it still exists. And the Vinkes (well-known redfoot researchers) have shown that during the heat of the day, redfoots routinely seek out the abandoned burrows of armadillos, often in large numbers. They found burrows jammed with 20 or more animals.

So I provide a gradient for my redfoot. Her indoor enclosure ranges between 75F and 95F, and she clearly chooses one or the other (or points in between) throughout the day. I would never force her into just one temp--I think it's only fair that she be able to choose. She knows what she's doing!