My Redfoot Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
I haven't posted any pictures of my enclosure for my adult redfoots because i didnt know how to! But now that i have learned i think it has been long enough so here it is. Its dimensions are approximately 24x20ft. A third of it is fenced with chicken wire and landscape timbers at its base and its 5 1/2 ft tall. I have covered the top and back side with the reed fencing stuff for shade and privacy.

I built everything out of scrap wood and things people in my neighborhood were getting rid of. The only things i had to buy was a couple of boxes of screws, the landscape timbers, some plants, chicken wire, cement, and the river rocks. I havent been keeping track of how much the entire thing cost me to build because it has taken me a while to complete the entire thing, but I would estimate the total cost of it including to be about $200 which is not bad at all considering how big the entire enclosure is.

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1686.jpg

I have a sprinkler system i constructed according to one of millerlite's posts in the mountian tortoise section.

IMG_1683.jpg

This is the inside of the fenced in portion.

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

You can see the two wooden hides in this picture. The larger one in the back is water treated and has a ceramic heat emitter for the ocassional chilli night.
IMG_1687.jpg

My redfoots enter and exit the fenced in portion as they please during the day through this opening i made at the bottom. It has a door to it that i can bolt shut every night once everyone is inside.

IMG_1693.jpg

The other two thirds of their enclosure is grass with a pool to the right corner and an improvised hide/shade area that i made out of a bamboo basket someone was throwing away. At the back portion of the enclosure is the cinder block wall that is part of the yard. Right in front of the wall are three huge rose of sharon trees that have been there long before i have lived here.

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of it but there is a lemon tree to one corner of the grass portion and an orange tree in the center.

Thanks for looking!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I love it! Great outdoor habitat for redfoots. Looks like the place where you live has appropriate temperatures and humidity levels during the growing season, so that's great.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Gee, I would want to live there. It's great!! Does your tort eat the citrus leaves? I was wondering if I could start my outdoor habitat under an orange tree, but not sure about if the citrus leaves are good for them or not.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
DesertGrandma: I really cant tell you about the orange leaves because my trees are pretty large and the leaves are no where near the reach of the torts, but as far as i know its not bad for them.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
wow, it is awesome. I wish I could build something nice for mine outside but since the weather is only warm enough for about 3-4 mo (and this year maybe only 3-4 wks... lol... I spent most of my time on the indoor enclosure. Not as big as yours that is for sure :0) and I am finding plants do not grow very well under CHE :0(

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
This is a beautiful enclosure. My husband says "THANKS" for giving me more ideas for Dale's enclosure. :D :p When I get more ideas that means he does the building.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Haha thats funny Candy. I actually enjoy doing all the building myself because i like to see what i can create out of scrap materials.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Wow, great job. I am looking for ideas for my outdoor pen. You have given me some good inspiration that I can be a DIYer. Love the pics..and your Torts look very happy.

LindaF

5 Year Member
So nice! It looks large, secure, and protected! Your torts are so lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.