my redfoot collection

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi everyone

Just thought i'd show you some pictures of my red foot tortoise collection.As I will probably will be needing some advice and help sometime in the future. I bought 3 juveniles from a breeder. These are 7 month old and seem to be doing fine now. I originally had them in a tort table but I struggled keeping the humidity up. So quickly decided a viv would be better. I have a heat bulb and a uvb strip bulb in. humidity is 80 to 90% and temps range from 34 to 26deg. The substrates vary in there viv. Consisting of spagnum moss, coconut fibre and cyprus mulch . I feed them on dandilion leaves, romaine lettuce, rocket, dark greens, sweetcorn, mushrooms, tomato, melon, grapes, strawberries, pears, apples, kiwi, and once a week I give them a pinky each. I also put vitamin c on there food once a week. I'm hoping I am doing it right and would very much appreciate anybodies input and advice. You will notice one of them has an extra scute. I'm assuming from to high temp at incubation.(or so i've been told).
I've also got a colony of 5 adults i've rescued. I have a male cherry head called speedy of about 5 years old at 7.5" long and 4 female redfoots from 5 to 8 years from 8" to 10.5". These all have pyramiding except one. The larger one called princess(kids name the torts not me.:)) has in my opinion very bad pyramids. Is there anything I can do for this and what do you guys reckon is the most likely thing to have caused it. Clarice doesn't have pyramiding she has a bit of her beak missing and only one nostril. Must be a deformity from birth. Then there are the last 2 I bought off a couple that could no longer look after them due to working shifts as paramedics. There dog got hold of one of these(florence) about 4 years ago and the scutes are still not fully healed. Its a good job they are in the medical trade. Apparently she bled alot at the time and they patched her up. Seems ok now but i'm a bit worried that the humidity may affect her 2 damage scutes. It looks like the top layer never grew back. Finally is Mabel, she was very timid as was florence(probably due to the dog). Her top beak seems to be growing too long and overlapping her bottom beak quite a bit. Would appreciate some advice on what to do with this. These 2 are now happy and coming out of there shell now(sorry had to get that one in:)) both coming on a treat. I found Clarice and Princess in a tiny viv in a pet shop that some sad cruel so n so had traded in for a snake. Sorry but after 6 years or so how do you decide to trade a pet in, And Igot speedy the cherry head off a guy that kept him in a cold dry shed outside. I mean outside in the uk. Come on. We only get 1 month of good weather if we are lucky.
So that my bunch of someone else's rejects.
IMG_0886.JPG IMG_0889.JPG IMG_1077.JPG IMG_0882.JPG IMG_0830.JPG

puffy137

Hello Anyfoot. lovely collection. I know I shall be contradicted , but its my belief that pyramiding is mainly caused by lack of exercise & over feeding.I have 25 greeks , only a slight pyramid effect showing on one after 20 odd years of keeping them outdoors in very very hot conditions. I never feed them any kind of fruit,& all the mushrooms I can get my hands on, are for MEEE. They live on mostly Romaine lettuce & Green veggie scraps from the kitchen. I must admit I have never seen a red-foot let alone owned one , but I expect they have a lot in common with Greeks. You will find lots of great information here. I don't think its all 'gospel' we each have to use our common sense to apply what we believe is best for these helpless creatures who have to rely on us fallible humans:):)