My Red Foot has always whistled...!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So I've had Artemis since 2016 and she has always made distinct whistling sounds as she breathes! Like, pretty darn loud whistles I can here outside of my tortoise room when she is exploring her enclosure every day....(???) I can usually rely on those noises to keep track of here location in the table when I'm not even in there. In the background I just listen for her little voice following me around her table all day! She has never displayed any RI problems in her whole life, nor has she ever been sick yet.... and I've been keeping my eyes peeled!!!!
Is it just super common for a red foot to get food up their nose or something?
She is around 8-9 inches long with her head extended. Shell is 6 inches.

Attachments

• 20191018_120911.jpg
    20191018_120911.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20191018_120923.jpg
    20191018_120923.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 39

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
So I've had Artemis since 2016 and she has always made distinct whistling sounds as she breathes! Like, pretty darn loud whistles I can here outside of my tortoise room when she is exploring her enclosure every day....(???) I can usually rely on those noises to keep track of here location in the table when I'm not even in there. In the background I just listen for her little voice following me around her table all day! She has never displayed any RI problems in her whole life, nor has she ever been sick yet.... and I've been keeping my eyes peeled!!!!
Can you set up a video so that we can see and hear her performance? She looks awesome in those pics.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Gosh, I'll try to get some video here shortly. She is being a little brat right now and won't make any sound when I'm trying to get it!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I suppose that the whistling could be a nasal abnormality or something else that requires no concern.
But generally, it's a sign of a breathing issue like a respiratory infection.
I would recommend x Ray's. Except for the fact that he's been whistling for so long and still seems healthy.
Keep a good eye out for any lethargic behavior.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I didn't hear a whistle.
Does he just do it when he moves his head?
If that's the case it's a whistle caused by him quickly expelling air.
That would not be of any concern at all.
(And your enclosure is about a tenth the size it needs to be)
Sorry.;)

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
As soon as those Christmas tree totes show up, Arty is getting an expanded enclosure this year, that's for sure..... She flipped herself/ himself recently and scared the heck out of me!!! So she has definitely grown too big for her table it seems. I was getting bored with it anyway! ;)
But the whistling is very subtle! You might need to turn up the volume to max to register it!

daniellenc

Maryland
I heard it three times right when you push play @ZEROPILOT. It’s definitely not the annoyed hissy noise. Could your guy have substrate or food partially blocking a nostril? Eyes look good, no mouth gaping, but a definite whistle. I don’t know if he’s eating I wouldn’t rush to the vet myself. Could also just be genetic and born with narrow nasal passages?

Rangomilton

Portland
I have had my Rango for almost 10 years and he’s always had a whistle, too. The vet offered xrays but said since he was eating heartily, had a great weight and was very active, that it was ok to just watch it.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
She’s gorgeous. Deviated septum? :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
As soon as those Christmas tree totes show up, Arty is getting an expanded enclosure this year, that's for sure..... She flipped herself/ himself recently and scared the heck out of me!!! So she has definitely grown too big for her table it seems. I was getting bored with it anyway! ;)
But the whistling is very subtle! You might need to turn up the volume to max to register it!
I heard one little "peep" out of her but they all make a few different sounds sometimes - by expelling air. She looks really healthy. Just my opinion though.

ztgbrawler3

10 Year Member!
Hebron, KY
One of my Reds has had a whistle for at least 7 of her 8+ years. If she had it prior to that, I didn't notice, probably due to her smaller hatchling size. Two things to note here: one, she's never had any other RI symptoms, and two, her cage mate of the last 5+ years has never had any RI symptoms. As you probably know, it's generally contagious. I probably wouldn't sweat it.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Darwin, the Redfoot that I live with, has gently whistled for most of her life, but she's always active, always bright-eyed, has been steadily growing since day 1, so I've never worried about it much. I just keep an eye on her for changes in activity and appetite and growth.

Jamie

Guts

Tennessee
My dads redfoot that is around 47 now has at least whistled my entire life and has never shown other signs of Illness. I wonder if this is common in red foots now because of this thread.